Essex County Council Logo Unlocking Essex's Past - from Heritage Conservation at Essex County Council Unlocking Essex's Past Logo
 Home   Links   Help   Search   Feedback  EHER No. Search: GO
Home
  Monument Detail
Ready Made Searches

Display Monument

 Results List 
Monument Name St Annes Castle Inn
SMR Number 5964
Summary Early C19 building on site of hermitage.
Media
None Available
Associated Media
None Available
Description A tenement called St Anne's Hermitage named after a pre-Reformation hermitage, was sold in 1571. By Morant's time it had been converted to an alehouse and is now the St Anne's Castle public house. Named St Anns in 1777 on the C$A map, St Anns Castle on OS 1st Ed <1>-<7> Pencil notation in source 7 refers to "St Anne's 1645", "Ale house called St Anne's 1637", also may refer to St Anns being mentioned in 1778. The reference given seems to be to the Essex Record Office <8> <9> <10> After the Dissolution, it was given to Thomas Jennings in 1571. In 1636 one Will Chandler is recorded as "keeper of the Inns at Pleshie and St Annes" (is this same as source 9?). An inn is shown here on Ogilby's map of 1675. The present building is early 19th century <11> <12> This source has a picture of the present inn's attractive signboard <13> Listed Building Description: GREAT AND LITTLE MAIN ROAD 5213 LEIGHS (East Side) St Anne's Castle Inn TL 71 NW 2/678 II 2. The present Inn stands on the site of a hermitage known as St Anne's where pilgrims rested on their way to and from the tomb of St Thomas a Becket. At the dissolution in 1571 it was given to Thomas Jennings and in l636 a Will Chandler is recorded as being "keeper of the Innes at Pleshie and St Annes. An Inn is shown on the site on Ogilby's map of 1675. Thepresent building is early C19, painted brick. 2 storeys. 3 window range, double-hung sashes with glazing bars, in plain reveals. The ground storey has 3 canted bays on the front. The doorways have panelled reveals, architraves with corner roundels and cornice hoods. Roof slate, hipped, with a paired bracketted eaves soffit. Listing NGR: TL7277217167
Monument Type(s) INN (Dated 1800AD to 1832AD)
HOUSE (Dated 1800AD to 1832AD)
Monument Class(es) BRICK
DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE
EXTANT BUILDING
Period 1800AD to 1832AD Post Medieval
Status Listed Building (EH)
Administration Area GREAT AND LITTLE LEIGHS, CHELMSFORD, ESSEX
National Grid Reference Square: TL71NW
Ref: 727171
Finds None listed
Events None listed
Sources <1> RECORD SHEET/FORM : OS cards (Ordnance Survey) TL71NW05, 1950 Dated : unknown

<10> Desc Text : Q-5Bb.292 (unknown) Dated : 1718

<11> Desc Text : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest:Chelmsford (unknown) p81 Dated : 1975

<12> Map : MAP by Ogilby (Ogilby) Dated : 1675

<13> Desc Text : With Script and Staff and Badge Adorned (Rushen, J) Vol 7, No 3, p45 Dated : 1986

<14> Photograph : ECC Historic Buildings Photo Print Archive (unknown) 1 frame, 6/1985 Dated : 1970-1993 c.

<2> Desc Text : SMR form unknown Dated : 1960 0nwards

<3> Desc Text : History of Essex (Morant, P) Vol 2, p98 Dated : 1768

<4> Desc Text : Trans Essex Archaeol Soc (Trans Essex Archaeological Soc) New Series, Vol 16, p113 Dated : 1923

<5> Map : Chapman and Andre (C&A) (Chapman, J and Andre, P) sheet XIII Dated : 1777

<6> Map : OS (Ordnance Survey) OS 1st Ed Dated : 1805

<7> Desc Text : Placenames of Essex (Reaney, PH) pp257-258 Dated : 1935

<8> Desc Text : Q-SR329-61 (unknown) Dated : 1645

<9> Desc Text : D-ABA 8f.127d (unknown) Dated : 1637