Essex County Council Logo Unlocking Essex's Past - from Heritage Conservation at Essex County Council Unlocking Essex's Past Logo
 Home   Links   Help   Search   Feedback  EHER No. Search: GO
Home
  Monument Detail
Ready Made Searches

Display Monument

 Results List 
Monument Name Parish Church of St Andrew, Hatfield Peverel
SMR Number 29813
Summary C12 and later parish church, restored in C19.
Media
None Available
Associated Media
None Available
Description C12 and later parish church, restored in C19. Listed Building Description: TL 7811-7911 HATFIELD PEVEREL CHURCH ROAD (south side) 12/57 Parish Church of St. Andrew GV II* Parish church. C12, altered in C13 and C15, much restored in C19. Flint and pebble rubble with limestone and clunch dressings and some brickwork, roofs tiled. Formerly part of a Benedictine Priory of St. Albans Abbey, dissolved in 1536. The former Nave became the present Nave and Chancel, with a fragment of the former central tower to the E, both early C12. N aisle added in late C13, rebuilt in C15. S vestry late C16. S aisle c.1820. Major restoration in C19, almost all external surfaces renewed. The former central tower has been destroyed except for the W arch, blocked by a C19 window; it is C12, semi- circular and plain. Adjoining it on the N and S are buttresses representing the W responds of the former N and S arches. The Nave and Chancel are structurally undivided. In the N wall is an arcade of 5 bays with 2-centred arches of 2 chamfered orders, and octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases. The orders of the easternmost arch are continued down the E respond; the W respond has an attached semi-octagonal shaft with moulded capital and base, and medieval and C16 graffiti. The 3 easternmost arches are C13, the other 2 with pier and respond C15. Above the E pier is a single round-headed light of c.1100. The second pier has a groove cut in the SW face for a former parochial rood-screen, and the wall above had a doorway at loft level, now blocked but retaining a plain oak frame on the N side. In the S wall is a C19 doorway and arcade of 5 bays; W of the arcade is a high C13 lancet window, restored externally. In the W wall is a C12 doorway, much restored, of 2 orders - the inner plain, the outer with chevron ornament; the jambs each have a round shaft with scalloped capital and moulded abacus continued round the inner order as an impost. The C19 W doors incorporate panels with 4 shields cut away at top, c.1500. The W window is C19. The roof was rebuilt in 1983, except the 2 E bays. The E tiebeam is straight, moulded and crenellated, with a hole in the middle for a hanging lamp. The second tiebeam is cambered and moulded, with wall pieces and moulded braces of 4-centred curvature, moulded principal rafters and collar, and moulded braces forming a continuous curve, late C15/early C16. The Vicar reports that roof structure of c.1300 survives in the E bay, boarded to the soffit in 7 cants. The N aisle has on the N wall an early C16 crenellated parapet of brick. In the wall are 5 windows; the easternmost is of 2 trefoiled ogee lights with a trefoil in a 2-centred head with a moulded label, early C14; the second window is C19 except for the C16 brick head and Cl4 fragments; the third window is C19 except for the C15 jambs, splays and 2-centred rear-arch; the fourth window is of 2 cinquefoiled lights with tracery in a 2-centred head, C15; the westernmost window is C19. Between the third and fourth windows is a semi-octagonal rood-stair turret entered by a late Cl5/early C16 doorway with a 4-centred head; the crenellated coping of the turret is of C16 brick, repaired, and has an isolated, tabled buttress rising from the middle. Between the 2 westernmost windows is the early C15 N doorway with jambs and 2-centred arch of 2 wave-moulded orders, and a moulded label. The 2-fold doors have heavy portcullis frames with V-notched joints, and renewed planking. In the W wall is a C13 lancet window, restored externally. The S vestry is of brick, of 2 storeys. The S wall has on the ground floor a late C16 window of 3 lights with ovolo-moulded jambs, restored mullions, and square head, all of brick, and on the first floor 2 similar windows, of 3 and one lights. The E wall has a blocked doorway and on the first floor a similar window of 2 lights. Fittings. In the Chancel there are 4 brasses. (1) 2 shields and the indent of an inscription plate, C15, (2) to an unnamed lady, descendant of the Bohuns, c.157O, inscription only, (3) ofJohn Allen, 1572, kneeling figure of a man in civilian dress and lady with children, indents of 2 other wives, scroll, plate and 2 shields, (4) to Martha (Glascocke), wife of Edmund Aleyn, 1593. There are floor-slabs in the Chancel (1) to Martha (Aleyn), wife of Joshua Blower, vicar, 1639, and in the N aisle, (2) to John Godbold, 166-, (3) to Daniel Coys, with achievement of arms, (4) to Daniell Coys, 1673, with achievement of arms, (5) to John Sharp, 1727. Other C18 floor-slabs were partly covered at the time of survey, January 1985. In the Chancel against the N wall there is an altar-tomb of marble with moulded slab, 4 cinquefoiled and 3 square traceried panels on the S side, with 3 shields with rivets for former brasses, a cinquefoiled panel at each end, and a moulded plinth, early C16. In the N aisle, on the sill of the second window from the E, there is the recumbent effigy of a man in plain gown with hood, head on cushion supported by angels, feet on lion, late C13, mutilated. A screen in the E bay of the N arcade, not in situ, has a moulded cornice, doorway and 4 open bays all with trefoiled, sub-cusped and traceried heads and close lower panels, mid-C15, restored. In the Chancel there are 3 bench ends with carved and traceried panels and poppies, carved with foliage and human heads including a king, a queen, 2 bearded heads and 2 female heads, late C14, made up with modern benches. Immediately E of the N doorway there is a stoup with septfoiled head and broken basin, C15. In the windows of the N and S aisles there is glass, not in situ, collected by John Wright in the C18, mostly English of the C16, and Flemish of the C16 and C17, including the royal arms of Elizabeth. There is a niche of uncertain date in the N wall of the Nave, above the third pier, with flat arched head, retaining traces of red paint, and a C15 niche in the E splay of the easternmost window of the N aisle, with circular head. Paintings recorded by the RCHM have largely disappeared. RCHM 1. Listing NGR: TL7970111017
Monument Type(s) PARISH CHURCH (Dated 1100AD to 1199AD)
Monument Class(es) FLINT
Period 1100AD to 1199AD Medieval
Status Listed Building (EH)
Administration Area HATFIELD PEVEREL, BRAINTREE, ESSEX
National Grid Reference Square: TL71SE
Ref: 797110
Finds None listed
Events None listed
Sources Photograph : ECC Historic Buildings Photo Print Archive (unknown) 4 frames, 1/1985 Dated : 1970-1993 c.

Photograph : unknown (Andrews, D) Dated : 2001

 View on Map