Essex County Council Logo Unlocking Essex's Past - from Heritage Conservation at Essex County Council Unlocking Essex's Past Logo
 Home   Links   Help   Search   Feedback  EHER No. Search: GO
Home
  Monument Detail
Ready Made Searches

Display Monument

 Results List 
Monument Name Berden Priory Farm
SMR Number 3906
Summary The priory was suppressed in 1536 and in 1537 it was leased to Parker.
Media
None Available
Associated Media
None Available
Description The priory was suppressed in 1536 and in 1537 it was leased to Parker. <5> <2> The present 16th century (and later) house is on the site of the medieval priory. <1> It is Elizabethan, timber-framed, with exposed timbers. <3> The house is late 16th century, L-shaped in plan, a kitchen was added, probably in the 17th century and a further small addition made in the north side. Features include: a moulded oak bressumer, an original chimney stack and windows, 17th century panelling, late 16th century glass and an original fireplace, now blocked. <4> Documents relating to Berden Priory Farm are discussed in source. <5> Late 16th century timber-framed and plastered building, upper storey jettied with a moulded bressumer and exposed timber- framing on the whole of the south front. Some of the original high-level mullioned window openings have been restored on the first storey. Two chimneystacks, rebuilt. Original features inside the house. Barn with maltings to the north-west, a 17th century timber-framed building, restored in the 20th century, and faced with roughcast. Deleted from DOE List in 1981. <6> A watching brief for footings for a new barn found no features or finds. The owner said that in the past all finds have been at the other side of the farm in what is now the garden <7> Listed Building Description: BERDEN 1. 5222 Berden Priory TL 43 SE 16/77 26.11.51 II* 2. Late C16 timber-framed and plastered building built on an L shaped plan. Two storeys. The upper storey is jettied with a moulded bressumer and exposed timber-framing on the whole of the south front. Five window range of casements on the first storey (C20) and mainly double-hung sashes with glazing bars on the ground storey. Some of the original high level mullioned window openings have been restored on the first storey. There is an 8-panel door with a flat hood on brackets. There is a C17 kitchen addition. Roof tiled, hipped on the east and west sides, with 2 chimney stacks (rebuilt). The interior has original features. (RCHM 4). Listing NGR: TL4623830224
Monument Type(s) BARN (Dated 1540AD to 1900AD)
MALT HOUSE (Dated 1540AD to 1900AD)
HOUSE (Dated 1540AD to 1900AD)
Monument Class(es) EXTANT BUILDING
Period 1540AD to 1900AD Post Medieval
Status Listed Building (EH)
Administration Area BERDEN, UTTLESFORD, ESSEX
National Grid Reference Square: TL43SE
Ref: 462302
Finds None listed
Events Priddy, DA

Sources <1> Desc Text : SMR form unknown Dated : 1960 0nwards

<2> Desc Text : Trans Essex Archaeol Soc (Trans Essex Archaeological Soc) New Series, Vol 9, pp280-282, 346, Dissolution Inventory Dated : unknown

<3> Desc Text : The Buildings of England, Essex (Pevsner, N) p73 Dated : 1954

<4> Desc Text : An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 1 (RCHME) Vol 1, pp24-25 Dated : 1916

<5> Desc Text : The parishes of Berden and Clavering:a topographical study (Schofield, J) Dated : 1981

<6> Desc Text : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Uttlesford (unknown) p35 Dated : 1980

<7> Desc Text : Watching Brief Report requested at Berden Priory Farm (Priddy, DA) Dated : 1985

 View on Map