Essex County Council Logo Unlocking Essex's Past - from Heritage Conservation at Essex County Council Unlocking Essex's Past Logo
 Home   Links   Help   Search   Feedback  EHER No. Search: GO
Home
  Monument Detail
Ready Made Searches

Display Monument

 Results List 
Monument Name Hatfield Broad Oak Priory (St Mary's Church)
SMR Number 4324
Summary The church walls contain some 17th-18th century brickwork.
Media
Hatfield Broad Oak Priory, Hatfield Broad Oak, Uttlesford
Hatfield Broad Oak Priory, Hatfield Broad Oak, Uttlesford
Hatfield Broad Oak Priory, Hatfield Broad Oak, Uttlesford
Hatfield Broad Oak Priory, Hatfield Broad Oak, Uttlesford
Hatfield Broad Oak Priory, Hatfield Broad Oak, Uttlesford
Hatfield Broad Oak Priory, Hatfield Broad Oak, Uttlesford
Hatfield Broad Oak Priory with St Mary's Church
Hatfield Broad Oak Priory with St Mary's Church
Hatfield Broad Oak Priory with St Mary's Church
Hatfield Broad Oak Priory with St Mary's Church
Hatfield Broad Oak Priory with St Mary's Church
Hatfield Broad Oak Priory with St Mary's Church
Hatfield Broad Oak Priory, Hatfield Broad Oak, Uttlesford
Hatfield Broad Oak Priory, Hatfield Broad Oak, Uttlesford
Associated Media
None Available
Description The church walls contain some 17th-18th century brickwork. The early 18th century reredos is noteworthy. The north vestry is late 17th century, in brick. The church contains 17th century brasses, 17th and 18th century monuments. Nave roof is C19. Library contains 300 C15-C17 volumes. <1> <7> Photo of church is in SMR. <3> Various plans, copies, in SMR. <4> 1 sherd of Cologne-Frechen stoneware and 1 sherd Metropolitan flat ware, lead glazed on interior and 7 sherds of glazed red earthen ware found during the rebuilding of the north east quoin of the chancel, by Mr D Lodge, shown to D Priddy, May 1984. <5> Other ref: <6> The priory church which had formed part of the same structure as the parish church was demolished following the Reformation. Some rebuilding took place in the parish church, the north vestry is late seventeenth century in date and there is some seventeenth and eighteenth century brickwork apparent In the church walls. The early eighteenth century reredos is also noteworthy. <8> Between June 1999 and January 2000 work was done to replace the pew platforms with stone slabs and to install a toilet in the tower. <9> - <11> Listed Building Description: TL 5416/5516 HATFIELD BROAD OAK CHURCH YARD 6/68 Church of St. Mary the 20/02/67 Virgin GV I Parish church, former western part of Benedictine Priory. Founded by Aubrey de Vere about 1135. The walls are mostly of flint rubble with some brickwork and old ashlar. Dressings are of Barnack limestone and clunch. Roofs are low pitched, gabled and lead covered. Consists of west tower, vestry, south porch and rectangular block containing aisled nave, north and south chapels and library enclosing short chancel. The C15 west tower is of 4 stages with moulded plinth and embattled crow-stepped parapet. The tower arch is early C15 and of 2 moulded orders with semi-octagonal shafts with moulded capitals. The second stage has a single light window with a trefoiled head in the north, south and west walls. The west wall also has a single light C16 window. Each face of the third stage has 2 light windows with 4 centre heads and moulded labels. The bell chamber has C15 windows in each face, each of two 4 centred lights in 2 tiers and with square heads and labels. The north vestry is of Cl7 red brickwork with black headers and a gabled pegtile roof. The south porch is C15 with embattled parapet and crocketed pinacles at the angles. The 2-centred arched door has attached side shafts with moulded capitals and blank shields in the spandrels. The side walls each have a 3 light window. The nave has C14 north and south arcades each of 4 bays with fine label stops with carved heads. The clerestorey has 5 late C14 windows. The north aisle has 4 windows, 2 of the C15, one modern and one C14 much restored. The roof is of the late C14 with curved braces springing from corbels carved with angels. The south side also has 4 windows in its long wall, largely modern but with earlier fragments. At the east end is a semi-octagonal stair tower for the rood loft access. The south door arch is of the late C14 and of 2 moulded orders with a probable C15 pair of doors in-situ. The west wall has a late C14 repaired window matching one on the west wall of the north aisle. The aisle roof is of the late C14 and that over the nave of 1843. The chancel has a modern east window and roof, but with C15 carved angels and the north and south walls have modified C14 arches. The north chapel has 2 late C15 windows in its north wall and, externally, 2 arches of a blank arcade. The south chapel has a C15 window and modern door in its east wall. In the south wall is a large 5 light C15 window. The west arch is uniform with that of the north chapel. In the south east corner is the library of 1708 with 300 volumes of the C15-C17. Externally evidence remains for the original cruciform plan form of the Priory church. The surviving western piers of the crossing have demi-shafts and one water leaf capital of c.1175 and the foundations of the rest of the east end were exposed in the late C19. In the chancel is an early C18 oak reredos, early C18 communion rail with carved and twisted balusters and some old marble and encaustic tile flooring. In the nave, an elaborate C18 brass candlelabra, a c.1400 kneeling oak figure and one stained glass window by Hardman of 1893. Stone late C13 effigy on floor of chancel, said to be of Robert de Vere, third Earl of Oxford. Five C17 floor slab memorials with elaborate lettering. Wall monuments to Sir John Barrington, Bart 1691, to Sir Charles Barrington 1788 by J.F. Moore and Lady Ibbetson 1816 by Flaxman. Neo-classical wall monuments to William Selwint of Down Hall and Stanes Chamberlayne 1782. In the north chapel, a C15 oak screen or parclose skillfully restored. Royal arms above south door and painted Parish Poor board. Included for architectural, historical, landscape and townscape importance. RCHM 1. Listing NGR: TL5467216625
Monument Type(s) CHURCH (Dated 1540AD to 1900AD)
Monument Class(es) EXTANT BUILDING
Period 1540AD to 1900AD Post Medieval
Status Listed Building (EH)
Administration Area HATFIELD BROAD OAK, UTTLESFORD, ESSEX
National Grid Reference Square: TL51NW
Ref: 546166
Finds POTTERY VESSEL (Dated 1540AD To 1900AD)

Events Hatfield Broad Oak St Mary - Pew Platforms

Hatfield Broad Oak St Mary - Toilet in Tower

Hatfield Broad Oak St Mary - Pews at front of nave

Sources <1> Desc Text : An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 2 (RCHME) Vol 2, pp116-120 Dated : 1921

<10> Desc Text : Hatfield Broad Oak St Mary - Toilet in tower (Andrews, D) Dated : 1999

<11> Desc Text : Hatfield Broad Oak St Mary - Pews at front of nave (Andrews, D) Dated : 2000

<2> RECORD SHEET/FORM : OS cards (Ordnance Survey) TL51NW23, 1950 Dated : unknown

<3> Photograph : TL51-020 (unknown) Dated : unknown

<4> Mention : SMR (Various) Copies Dated : unknown

<5> Desc Text : SMR (Priddy, DA) Typed sheet in SMR Dated : 1984

<6> Desc Text : The Buildings of England, Essex (Pevsner, N) pp209-210 Dated : 1954

<7> Desc Text : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Uttlesford (Department of the Environment) pp23-24 Dated : 1985

<8> Desc Text : Hatfield Broad Oak: Historic Town Assssment Report (Medlycott, Maria) Dated : 1999

<9> Desc Text : Hatfield Broad Oak St Mary - Pew Platforms (Andrews, D) Dated : 1999

 View on Map