Essex County Council Logo Unlocking Essex's Past - from Heritage Conservation at Essex County Council Unlocking Essex's Past Logo
 Home   Links   Help   Search   Feedback  EHER No. Search: GO
Home
Search Index Page
Evidence Search
  Monument Detail
Ready Made Searches

Display Monument

 Results List 
Monument Name South Weald Camp
SMR Number 531
Summary On high ground partly within the eastern boundary of Weald Park.
Media
South Weald Camp, Brentwood
South Weald Camp, Brentwood
South Weald Camp, Brentwood
South Weald Camp, Brentwood
South Weald Camp, Brentwood
South Weald Camp, Brentwood
South Weald Camp, Brentwood
South Weald Camp, Brentwood
South Weald Camp, Brentwood
South Weald Camp, Brentwood
Associated Media
None Available
Description On high ground partly within the eastern boundary of Weald Park. It is approximately circular, enclosing about 7 acres. On the east side is a rampart and steep scarp. If there was an external ditch it has gone, the northern section of defences has almost disappeared. The site of the entrance is doubtful. <1> Dated to iron age from its appearance and topographical situation. 'Where best preserved the outside scarp measures up to 3m high but is only supported by a slight lift on the inner side of the rampart'. <2> In 1975 a gas main was laid across the eastern part of the site It was observed by J M Tyldesley of the Passmore Edwards Museum but no archaeological features or finds were observed. <3> <4> There is a ditch on the north side, where the slope is more gentle, west of the modern road that cuts through the camp. Traces of this ditch, filled in, are visible in the grass field east of the road. Generally much denuded, not certainly classifiable as prehistoric. <5> 3 photos in SMR. <6> Other refs: <7> <8><9> A defensive ditch forming part of the late Iron Age hill-fort was re-cut in the medieval period. <10> This re-cut is most plausibly linked to the construction of a medieval deer park, into which the Iron Age earthwork was incorporated. Medieval pottery recovered included Early Medieval ware and Mill Green ware and dates from the 11th to 14th centuries. <10> A contour survey of the earthwork <10> also suggests that the area was a medieval deer park during the period 10th to 14th centuries. A contour survey of the earthwork <10> also suggests that the area was a medieval deer park during the period 10th to 14th centuries. <10> Two trenches were excavated across the defensive ditches in 1990 in an attempt to confirm the Late Iron Age date. <9> Three years after the excavation, a detailed contour survey of the earthwork and its immediate environs was undertaken as part of a separate project aimed at assessing the archaeological potential of the Essex Country Parks. <10><11> The two trenches excavated sectioned the univallate defences in the north-west and south-west quadrants. Both the excavations and the contour survey date the beginning of the construction of the hillfort to the Late Iron Age. Dating is provided by small amounts of Late Iron Age pottery in the rampart make-up. One trench had a well-defined linear cut interpreted as a slot for a revetment at the rear of the rampart. Within the area enclosed by ditch and rampart were a number of post holes also dated to the late iron Age; they may represent internal structures. <11> Site Assessment = Bank on the south side has been badly scraped by agricultural machinery. <3> This site is a scheduled Ancient Monument and aspects of its management are controlled by legislation. Over half of the monument lies outside the country park beneath the local cricket pitch. The area within the park is under woodland with overgrown undergrowth. Current management practices should continue. Further recording, evaluation and assessment of the monument would help to increase the understanding of the site and aid in its presentation to the public <13>
Monument Type(s) HILLFORT (Dated 700BC to 42AD)
DITCH (Dated 700BC to 42AD)
REVETMENT (Dated 700BC to 42AD)
Monument Class(es) EARTHWORK
Period 700BC to 42AD Iron Age
Status Scheduled Monument
Administration Area BRENTWOOD, BRENTWOOD, ESSEX
National Grid Reference Square: TQ59SE
Ref: 579946
Finds POTTERY VESSEL (Dated 700BC To 42AD)

Events SALV RECORD by Tyldesley, JM, 1975

Field visit to 531 by TLJ

Field visit to 531 by Paterson, H, FMW on SEP-1979

Field visit to 531 by Paterson, H, FMW on OCT-1980

Field visit to 531 by Chant, K, FMW on JUL-1983

Sources <1> Desc Text : An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 2 (RCHME) Vol 2, p218 Dated : 1921

<10> Excavation report : South Weald camp - probable late Iron Age hill-fort; excavations 1990 (Medlycott, Maria et al) Dated : 1995

<11> Desc Text : South Weald Camp, Brentwood and Langdon Hills, Basildon: Analytical Earthwork Survey (Isserlin, RMJ) Dated : 1995

<12> Desc Text : Analytical field survey at two Essex 'hillforts': South Weald Camp and Langdon Hills (Isserlin, RMJ) Dated : 1995

<13> Desc Text : County Parks Archaeological Survey, Weald (Drayton, Jeff) Dated : 1994

<2> RECORD SHEET/FORM : OS cards (Ordnance Survey) TQ59SE05, 1975 Dated : unknown

<3> Desc Text : SMR form unknown Dated : 1960 0nwards

<4> CORRESPONDENCE : South Weald Camp (Robertson, IG) Date 1975:4 Dated : 1975

<5> Scheduling record : DOE Scheduled Ancient Monuments (HBMC) Part 4 Dated : 1983

<6> Photograph : TQ59-003 (unknown) Dated : unknown

<7> Desc Text : VCH Essex (unknown) Vol 1, p283 Dated : 1903

<8> Desc Text : Problems of the Iron Age in Southern Britain (Frere, SS) p68 Dated : 1958

<9> Graphic material : South Weald Surface Model (FAU) Dated : 1994