Essex County Council Logo Unlocking Essex's Past - from Heritage Conservation at Essex County Council Unlocking Essex's Past Logo
 Home   Links   Help   Search   Feedback  EHER No. Search: GO
Home
  Monument Detail
Ready Made Searches

Display Monument

 Results List 
Monument Name Coggeshall Abbey
SMR Number 8651
Summary From 1518 there is a reference, in his will, as to Sir John Sharpe having had the lease of a "mansion and lodgings at Coggeshall Abbey".
Media
Water Mill, Coggeshall
Water Mill, Coggeshall
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Coggeshall Abbey
Associated Media
None Available
Description From 1518 there is a reference, in his will, as to Sir John Sharpe having had the lease of a 'mansion and lodgings at Coggeshall Abbey'. His lease has not survived but that granted to his successor, Clement Harleston, has. From this, it is known that the mansion was next to the infirmary of the monks and the property included 'one little garden next the colliquitory on the west, and the mansion on the east.' Harleston had the exclusive use of St Katherine's chapel, known from the will of John Newman (1464) to have been N of the nave of the Abbey church. The mansion, or part of it, was extant in 1639 when an estate map was made but it must have been demolished soon after this when the present east wing of the late C16 house built by Anne Paycocke and her husband, Richard Benyan, was built around the skeleton of the Abbey Infirmary hall. All that now remains of the early C16 house is a fireplace in an outside wall. <1> - <4> The 1639 map does not show buildings accurately. It is possible that part of this mansion forms the timber-framed structure of the present main range; if not, the main range was built immediately after the Dissolution in 1538, when the property was held by Sir Thomas Seymour. <5> AP <6> A geophysical survey from the eastern end of the Abbey church site showed that the church was ca. 5m shorter than was previously recorded from parchmarks. It also clarified some of the structures on the eastern sides of the transepts. Foundation walls along the lines of the nave continue across the transepts. Neither the resistance nor the magnetic survey revealed the position of the north west section of the precinct wall.<8>
Monument Type(s) GARDEN (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
GREAT HOUSE (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
Monument Class(es) DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE
EXTANT BUILDING
Period 1066AD to 1539AD Medieval
Status Not Known
Administration Area COGGESHALL, BRAINTREE, ESSEX
National Grid Reference Square: TL82SE
Ref: 856222
Finds None listed
Events Coggeshall Abbey

Sources Aerial Photo : 21/2-6 (Rogers, P) Dated : 1988

<1> Desc Text : Coggeshall Abbey and its Early Brickwork (Gardner, JS) Third Series, Vol 18, pp19-32 Dated : 1955

<2> Desc Text : DESC TEXT by (unknown) PCC 13 Ayloff Dated : 1518

<3> Desc Text : Diocese of London Rentals and Surveys (unknown) 2-11 Dated : 1528

<4> Map : D-Dop (unknown) Dated : 1639

<5> Desc Text : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest:Coggeshall (unknown) p8 Dated : 1988

<6> Aerial Photo : COGGESHALL ABBEY (unknown) Dated : 1988

<7> Desc Text : Coggeshall Historic Towns Assessment Report (Medlycott, Maria) Dated : 1999

<8> Desc Text : Geophysical Survey Report, Coggeshall Abbey, Coggeshall (Braintree) Essex: National Monument No.29426 (Black, A and Black, D) Dated : 2004

 View on Map