Essex County Council Logo Unlocking Essex's Past - from Heritage Conservation at Essex County Council Unlocking Essex's Past Logo
 Home   Links   Help   Search   Feedback  EHER No. Search: GO
Home
  Monument Detail
Ready Made Searches

Display Monument

 Results List 
Monument Name Jericho Priory - Church of St Lawrence, Blackmore
SMR Number 743
Summary Jericho Priory.
Media
Blackmore
Blackmore
Church of St Lawrence, Jericho Priory, Blackmore, Brentwood
Church of St Lawrence, Jericho Priory, Blackmore, Brentwood
Church of St Lawrence, Jericho Priory, Blackmore, Brentwood
Church of St Lawrence, Jericho Priory, Blackmore, Brentwood
Church of St Lawrence, Jericho Priory, Blackmore, Brentwood
Church of St Lawrence, Jericho Priory, Blackmore, Brentwood
Church of St Lawrence, Jericho Priory, Blackmore, Brentwood
Church of St Lawrence, Jericho Priory, Blackmore, Brentwood
Jericho Priory - Church of St. Lawrence, Blackmore
Jericho Priory - Church of St. Lawrence, Blackmore
Jericho Priory - Church of St. Lawrence, Blackmore
Jericho Priory - Church of St. Lawrence, Blackmore
Associated Media
None Available
Description Jericho Priory. Described as the manor of Blackmore in Wright's History of Essex. Given to the Priory (?date of origin). Priory founded 1152-62. Dissolved 1525. <1> <2> <3> Part of the largest group of Augustinian churches (those which are parish churches today). Suppressed in 1524-1528 by Wolsey and valued at 85 pounds. Vicarages were ordained in the churches of Blackmore, Gt Hormead and Tyburn, 1199-1221, all were appropriated to the priory. No spiritual possessions recorded in the `Taxatio' but it is known to have had at least 3 appropriated churches by then. <4> Present parish church was the nave of the Priory church, the priory site is south of the church in the gardens of Jericho Priory House. <1> Church walls are flint with clunch and brick dressings. It is the nave and aisles of a large building that once extended further east, and formed the parish church and chancel. Priory founded 1152-1162 by Adam and Jordan, queen's chamberlains. The nave was built then. Appears to have had an aisleless chancel then. Around the mid-14th century the north arcade (except the west bay) and the north aisle were rebuilt and perhaps the south arcade also. The timber bell- tower was added then. The site of the older tower isn't certain and there doesn't seem to have been a central tower. In the early 16th century 2 arches were inserted north and south of the parish altar. The pulpitum may have been extended across the nave here. The church is of interest for the mid 12th century west end and the timber tower (arcades were rebuilt in the post medieval period, see 0744). Features and fittings: windows of the 12th, 14th, 15th and early 16th centuries, doorways of the 12th, 13th and 14th centuries, late 14th century roof bosses, a brass of c1420, an early 14th century indent, 14th-15th century font, 12th-14th century architectural fragments, some loose, some re-set. Moat around the church and site of the priory, enclosing a large, roughly rectangular area with a small second enclosure at the south angle. <5> "One of the most impressive, if not the most impressive, of all the timber towers of England". Norman church, aisled from the beginning, as it was a priory church. The west wall of the Norman church church still exists. One of the 13th century doorways no doubt led into the cloister. <6> Founded c1155-60. Tower is "exceptionally fine". The church with garden and grounds of Jericho Priory are surrounded by a partly wet moat except on the north side. <7> 4 APs in the SMR. <8> <9> Other refs: <10> - <15> Site Assessment = Submitted for scheduling but rejected by the DOE. <1><16><17>
Monument Type(s) MOAT (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
CHURCH (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
FONT (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
PRIORY (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
PRIORY (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
Monument Class(es) CONJECTURAL EVIDENCE
DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE
EARTHWORK
EXTANT BUILDING
STONE
Period 1066AD to 1539AD Medieval
Status Not Known
Administration Area BLACKMORE, HOOK END AND WYATTS GREEN, BRENTWOOD, ESSEX
National Grid Reference Square: TL60SW
Ref: 604016
Finds STONE ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Dated 1066AD To 1539AD)

Events None listed
Sources <1> Desc Text : SMR form unknown Dated : 1960 0nwards

<10> LIST : TL60-53 (unknown) Dated : unknown

<11> Map : TL60-053 (unknown) Dated : unknown

<12> RECORD SHEET/FORM : OS cards (Ordnance Survey) TL60SW15, 1961 Dated : unknown

<13> Desc Text : Trans Essex Archaeol Soc (Dickinson, JC) Vol 10, p109 Dated : unknown

<14> Desc Text : Medieval Religious Houses in England and Wales (Knowles, D and Hadcock, RN) p128 Dated : unknown

<15> Desc Text : Essex - VCH (Victoria County History) Dated : unknown

<16> Aerial Photo : BW/00/3/4-5 (Tyler, Sue) Dated : 2000

<17> Aerial Photo : BW/00/3/1-2 (Tyler, Sue) Dated : 2000

<18> Desc Text : Blackmore: Historic Village Assessment (Medlycott, Maria) Dated : 2000

<19> Aerial Photo : OS/70/019/63-64 (Ordnance Survey) Dated : 1970

<2> Desc Text : History of Essex (Wright, T) Dated : unknown

<20> Aerial Photo : TL6001/12-14 (NMR) Dated : 1995

<21> Map : NMP Cropmark Plot - 1:10,000 (Ingle, CJ, Strachan, D, Tyler, S and Saunders, H) TL60SW Dated : 1993-2012

<3> Desc Text : Trans Essex Archaeol Soc (Trans Essex Archaeological Soc) Vol 10 Dated : 1909

<4> Desc Text : The Geography of the Augustinian Settlement (Robinson, DM) No 50, p39, 87, 183, 198, copy in SMR of refs Dated : 1980

<5> Desc Text : An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 2 (RCHME) Vol 2, pp15-17 Dated : 1921

<6> Desc Text : The Buildings of England, Essex (Pevsner, N) pp76-77 Dated : 1954

<7> Desc Text : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Brentwood (Department of the Environment) pp29-30 Dated : 1976

<8> Aerial Photo : SR 44, 45, 48 (CUCAP) Dated : unknown

<9> Aerial Photo : AML 94 (unknown) Dated : unknown

 View on Map