Essex County Council Logo Unlocking Essex's Past - from Heritage Conservation at Essex County Council Unlocking Essex's Past Logo
 Home   Links   Help   Search   Feedback  EHER No. Search: GO
Home
  Monument Detail
Ready Made Searches

Display Monument

 Results List 
Monument Name Jericho Priory - Church of St Lawrence, Blackmore
SMR Number 744
Summary Present parish church is Priory nave.
Media
Blackmore
Blackmore
Church of St Lawrence, Jericho Priory, Blackmore, Brentwood
Church of St Lawrence, Jericho Priory, Blackmore, Brentwood
Church of St Lawrence, Jericho Priory, Blackmore, Brentwood
Church of St Lawrence, Jericho Priory, Blackmore, Brentwood
Church of St Lawrence, Jericho Priory, Blackmore, Brentwood
Church of St Lawrence, Jericho Priory, Blackmore, Brentwood
Church of St Lawrence, Jericho Priory, Blackmore, Brentwood
Church of St Lawrence, Jericho Priory, Blackmore, Brentwood
Jericho Priory - Church of St. Lawrence, Blackmore
Jericho Priory - Church of St. Lawrence, Blackmore
Jericho Priory - Church of St. Lawrence, Blackmore
Jericho Priory - Church of St. Lawrence, Blackmore
Associated Media
None Available
Description Present parish church is Priory nave. Priory dissolved in 1525. In the 16th century the south arcade may have fallen, it was rebuilt with the south aisle's south wall, probably later than 1525, possibly with the blocking of the east end of the aisles and the demolition of the church's east end and the monastic buildings. Part of the chancel survived to be destroyed at an uncertain date. The north porch is modern, incorporating some old woodwork. The parish church was restored 1895-1907 and the north arcade was rebuilt. The south doorway is 18th century, in the west wall is an 18th century window. There is early 18th century glass, a late 16th century monument, 17th and 18th century monuments in the churchyard. 2 gabled dormers are 17th or 18th century. <1> "The half-timbered west end of the south aisle and the 17th century dormers on the north, and 19th century dormers on the south side, add a touch of irresponsible picturesqueness". <2> Other ref: <3> 4 APs in the SMR <4> <5><6><7>
Monument Type(s) CHURCH (Dated 1540AD to 1900AD)
Monument Class(es) EXTANT BUILDING
Period 1540AD to 1900AD Post Medieval
Status Not Known
Administration Area BLACKMORE, HOOK END AND WYATTS GREEN, BRENTWOOD, ESSEX
National Grid Reference Square: TL60SW
Ref: 604016
Finds None listed
Events None listed
Sources Desc Text : Blackmore: Historic Village Assessment (Medlycott, Maria) Dated : 2000

<1> Desc Text : An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 2 (RCHME) Vol 2, pp15-17 Dated : 1921

<2> Desc Text : The Buildings of England, Essex (Pevsner, N) pp76-77 Dated : 1954

<3> Desc Text : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Brentwood (unknown) pp29-30 Dated : 1976

<4> Aerial Photo : SR 44, 45, 48 (CUCAP) Dated : unknown

<5> Aerial Photo : AML 94 (unknown) Dated : unknown

<6> Aerial Photo : BW/00/3/4-5 (Tyler, Sue) Dated : 2000

<7> Aerial Photo : BW/00/3/1-2 (Tyler, Sue) Dated : 2000

 View on Map