Essex County Council Logo Unlocking Essex's Past - from Heritage Conservation at Essex County Council Unlocking Essex's Past Logo
 Home   Links   Help   Search   Feedback  EHER No. Search: GO
Home
  Monument Detail
Ready Made Searches

Display Monument

 Results List 
Monument Name Bedeman's berg
SMR Number 751
Summary Ruins, of flint-rubble mixed with puddingstone and Roman brick (see 750).
Media
None Available
Associated Media
None Available
Description Ruins, of flint-rubble mixed with puddingstone and Roman brick (see 750). A hermitage was founded here in the time of Henry I, subsequently becoming a cell of St John's Abbey, Colchester. Remains are of one angle of a building c8ft high. <1> An angle of the chapel wall, fishponds and a well still called the Holy Well. <2> OS 1975 report no remains traceable of wall or well. A single waterfilled fish pond still exists to the north east at TL 63350214. A stream valley immediately west of it may be the site of another pond. <4> in <3> Other refs: <5> <6> <7> <8> Surveyed in 1993 <9> all that remains is some ruins of a wall and a pond. During this survey the wall made of flint and roman tile was relocated in dense elder and scrub growth behind the barn. The wall had collapsed and was lying on its side. Scattered on the ground were tile, brick and other building remains. The fishpond referred to above may be the water-filled pond behind the house; there are other earthwork features in this field which may be the remains of other ponds. the well could be in the clump of bushes between the pond and the house. For documentary references in Court Rolls etc. see <9> The site is intensively grazed by horses and during the 1993 survey was bare of vegetation in many places. The original shape of the pond had been destroyed by continual use by horses. <9>
Monument Type(s) FISHPOND (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
CHAPEL (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
WELL (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
Monument Class(es) EARTHWORK
RUINED BUILDING
STRUCTURE
Period 1066AD to 1539AD Medieval
Status Not Known
Administration Area HIGHWOOD, CHELMSFORD, ESSEX
National Grid Reference Square: TL60SW
Ref: 633020
Finds None listed
Events Survey of Writtle Forest and Park

Sources Desc Text : Historic Landscape Survey of Writtle Forest and Park, Chelmsford, Essex (Bannister, NR and Bannister, DE) Dated : 1993

<1> Desc Text : An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 2 (RCHME) Vol 2, p275 Dated : 1921

<2> RECORD SHEET/FORM : OS cards (Ordnance Survey) TL60SW17, 1961 Dated : unknown

<3> Desc Text : SMR form unknown Dated : 1960 0nwards

<4> RECORD SHEET/FORM : OS cards (Ordnance Survey) TL60SW17, 1975 Dated : unknown

<5> Desc Text : Essex - VCH (Victoria County History) Vol 2, p94 Dated : unknown

<6> Desc Text : Medieval Religious Houses in England and Wales (Knowles, D and Hadcock, RN) p59 Dated : 1953

<7> Desc Text : Essex Rev (Essex Review) Vol 18, p130 Dated : 1909

<8> Desc Text : Essex Naturalist (Essex Naturalist) Vol 3, p206 Dated : unknown

 View on Map