Essex County Council Logo Unlocking Essex's Past - from Heritage Conservation at Essex County Council Unlocking Essex's Past Logo
 Home   Links   Help   Search   Feedback  EHER No. Search: GO
Home
  Monument Detail
Ready Made Searches

Display Monument

 Results List 
Monument Name Colchester - St John's Abbey
SMR Number 12360
Summary Founded in the late C11 for Benedictine monks by Eudo Dapifer.
Media
None Available
Associated Media
None Available
Description Founded in the late C11 for Benedictine monks by Eudo Dapifer. The buildings have disappeared except for the great gatehouse and parts of the precinct wall. The former was built, probably, in the C15 and has been much restored. It is of two storeys, the walls are partly rubble and partly brick with limestone dressings. The roofs are covered with lead and tiles. It is flanked by two octagonal turrets with * pinnacles. There is a tall carriageway and a smaller entrance for pedestrians, both with four- centred arches. The main arch is flanked by two large niches. The upper storey has two windows flaning a large niche, all extensively restored. The inner face is plainer but also flanked with octagonal turrets with * pinnacles. The gate hall has a ribbed vault, the ribs springing from carved and moulded corbels. Adjoining the W side of the gatehouse was a now destroyed building. The SW staircase turret was * from it and has two doorways with four-centred heads. The precinct wall remains for a considerable length on the NE and S sides. It is of rubble and C16 brick. Numerous worked and moulded stones ae built into a wall on the W side of the site and also into a * near the middle of the site. Near the E wall a round * is entirely composed of vaulted ribs and other fragments. Some C12 fragments are incorporated in the internal walls of the gatehouse. Other fragments are incorporated into the churchyard wall of St Gile's Church and the wall N of St John's Green School (photo in RCHM). <1> Gatehouse is characteristically more ornate to the outer world than to the abbey precincts. (photo in Pevsner). Perimeter wall still stands on the N, E and S sides, of brick, moulded stones and rubble. In the NE angle is the site of a well, represented by a brick projection with stone pointed head arch and date panel; `Abbey Well 1817'. <3> Nothing known of the monastic church which are important because two such await discovery. The earlier buildings lay N of the monastic church but due to the noise of Colchester's southern suburb, they were transferred to the S side. In 1133 it is recorded that after a fire in which "this monastery and nearly the whole of Colchester were burnt" the monks houses were transferred from the N side, under the town wall, to the S side of the church. (see source 5). <4> <5> The abbey was founded in 1096-7, and dissolved i 1539. <6> Consideration of documentary sources suggets that the abbey workshops were removed to the S side in 1133 after a fire, but that the story of an earlier removal because of noise is incorrect. The abbey was founded in 1095, building began in 1096 and the dedication was in 1115. The monastic remains are shown ono Speed's map of 1610 but were almost completely destroyed during the 1648 siege. A drawing of the southern elevation of the Abbey church exists, but is suspect as it shows no claustral buildings (these may have been deliberately omitted). The illustration is in Morant and also source . Seems to show mainly C12-C13 building with round tower; , windows? rebuilt a century aftre foundation. For detailed documentary refs see source 7. <7> - <10> <13> Other refs. <11> <12> Rear of gatehouse was rebuilt in the C17 after damage in the siege of 1648. <14> See for finds of * probably from the abbey, for the earlier church and for cemetery. Site Management: = Additional areas put forward for scheduling in 1981. <11> Site Assessment = Gatehouse is a splendid piece of display , characteristically more ornate to the outer world. <2> Listed Building Description: ST JOHN'S GREEN 995 St John's Abbey Gatehouse (formerly listed as Abbeygate House) TL 9924 BE 9/5 23.1.69. I 2. The only remains of the Abbey of St John the Baptist, a late Benedictine C11 foundation. The gatehouse was built in the later C15, 2 storeys of rubble and brick faced in knapped flint work set in stone panels with cusped heads. There are 2 flanking octagonal turrets to the front, and the gate hall has a ribbed stone vault roof. The back part of the building was rebuilt in C17 brick after damage during the siege of 1648. AM. St John's Abbey Gatehouse (formerly listed as Abbeygate House) shall be amended to read St John's Abbey Gatehouse The date when building was first listed 23.1.69. shall be deleted. 1. ST JOHN'S GREEN 995 St John's Abbey Gatehouse (formerly listed as TL 9924 NE 9/5 Abbeygate House) 23.1.69. I 2. The only remains of the Abbey of St John the Baptist, a late Benedictine C11 foundation. The gatehouse was built in the later C15, 2 storeys, of rubble and brick faced in knapped flint work set in stone panels with cusped heads. There are 2 flanking octagonal turrets to the front, and the gate hall has a ribbed stone vault roof. The back part of the building was rebuilt in C17 brick after damage during the siege of 1648. A.M. Listing NGR: TL9976724753
Monument Type(s) ABBEY (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
ABBEY (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
GATEHOUSE (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
WALL (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
Monument Class(es) ARCHITECTURAL COMPONENT
DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE
EXTANT BUILDING
STRUCTURE
Period 1066AD to 1539AD Medieval
Status Scheduled Monument
Administration Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX
National Grid Reference Square: TM02NW
Ref: 000250
Finds None listed
Events Field visit to 12360 by Corbishley, MJ, FMW

Sources <1> Desc Text : An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3 (RCHME) Vol 3, pp47-48 Dated : 1922

<10> Graphic material : St John's Abbey Church (Crummy, P) No 2, p16 Dated : 1988

<11> Scheduling record : DOE Scheduled Ancient Monuments (Department of the Environment) Parts 5-8 Dated : 1986

<12> Desc Text : Medieval Religious Houses (Knowles, D and Hadcock, RN) p53, 62 Dated : 1971

<13> Graphic material : Cotton MS * viii (unknown) Dated : unknown

<14> Desc Text : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest:Colchester (unknown) p114 Dated : 1971

<2> Desc Text : The Buildings of England, Essex (Pevsner, N) p123 Dated : 1954

<3> RECORD SHEET/FORM : OS cards (Ordnance Survey) TL92NE3.15, 1976 Dated : unknown

<4> Desc Text : CBA Research Report No. 19 Historic Churches - a wasting asset (Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA) p37 Dated : 1977

<5> Desc Text : The Churches and Abbeys of Colchester (Rickword, G) TEAS, Vol 16, pp122-126 Dated : 1922

<6> Desc Text : SMR (Priddy, DA) Dated : unknown

<7> Desc Text : Aspects of Anglo-Saxon and Norman Colchester (Crummy, P) No 39 (CAT Rep 1), pp28-30, 40-46 Dated : unknown

<9> Desc Text : History of Colchester (Morant, P) Vol 2, pp36-37 Dated : 1748

 View on Map