Essex County Council Logo Unlocking Essex's Past - from Heritage Conservation at Essex County Council Unlocking Essex's Past Logo
 Home   Links   Help   Search   Feedback  EHER No. Search: GO
Home
  Monument Detail
Ready Made Searches

Display Monument

 Results List 
Monument Name Colchester - St Botolph's Priory
SMR Number 12381
Summary Trial trenching NE of the standing remains of the nave of the Priory Church (see 12380) revealed traces of the previously unrecorded transept..
Media
None Available
Associated Media
None Available
Description Trial trenching NE of the standing remains of the nave of the Priory Church (see 12380) revealed traces of the previously unrecorded transept. Substantial mortared masonry foundations sat on an unmortared sand and stone deposit. The SW corner had been buttressed and survived intact almost to floor level. Its N wall had been largely robbed, following the dissolution of the Priory in 1536 when the nave was converted to a parish church. The line of the E wall had been destroyed by post-medieval pit digging but it is clear that the transet was comparatively small, c.4.5 x 8.25m internally. The N wall of the E arm of the church and the transept floor had also been robbed. Two probable Medieval burials were located W of the transept. <1>
Monument Type(s) INHUMATION (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
PRIORY (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
WALL (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
Monument Class(es) SUB SURFACE DEPOSIT
Period 1066AD to 1539AD Medieval
Status Scheduled Monument
Administration Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX
National Grid Reference Square: TL92SE
Ref: 999249
Finds None listed
Events PART EXCAV by Shimmin, D,

Sources <1> Desc Text : Excavations in Essex 1986 (Shimmin, D in Priddy, D) Vol 18, p106 Dated : 1987

<2> Desc Text : St Botolph's Priory (Shimmin, D) No 19, pp6-7 Dated : 1986

 View on Map