Essex County Council Logo Unlocking Essex's Past - from Heritage Conservation at Essex County Council Unlocking Essex's Past Logo
 Home   Links   Help   Search   Feedback  EHER No. Search: GO
Home
Search Index Page
Freetext Search
  Monument Detail
Ready Made Searches

Display Monument

 Results List 
Monument Name Landermere Wharf Area
SMR Number 14895
Summary This is a port area with a number of associated features and consists of a dock area for lying at anchor, a wharf for embarkation and disembarkation, and a loading and unloading area.
Media
None Available
Associated Media
None Available
Description This is a port area with a number of associated features and consists of a dock area for lying at anchor, a wharf for embarkation and disembarkation, and a loading and unloading area. It is marked on the OS 1st edition map <2> as the site of a maltings and local knowledge has it as an area for storage in warehouses. The area includes a dock and jetty, a wharf and the position of an old sluice gate. The dock is revetted down each side from the sluice to the wharf. The jetty encloses the dock on the north side and is made out of the saltmarsh that has been cut to form the dock. It has been piled and revetted to form a surface for access and unloading. Situated at the west end of the dock is the old sluice-gate with its revetments still intact. Situating the sluice hare is of note for it would enable the dock's bottom to be kept clear of silt due to the flow of water. There is still quite a torrent coming through the cistern. Next to the dock and jetty is a possible dry dock revetted around the cut and possible sluice/lock gate structure. This would be the best interpretation given the presence of a reputed saw pit, now either eroded or partly filled in. The wharf is constructed out of wood, earth and stone. Rammed chalk lies behind wooden revetting with cobbles and shingle rammed into the surface. There is probably a rubble fill or brushwood interlacing as at the medieal wharf in York. The wharf may also be stabilised on the estuarine clay by the use of piling as for the jetty. The wharf is experiencing erosion of its surface and landward bank making it less stable. A local resident wants to stabilise it by ramming piles into the wharf and dumping behind. Buildings associated with the wharf include the old public house, The Kings Head, which lost its license c. 1950. The pub is shown on the OS 1st ed. map <2> along with a malthouse and a lime kiln. There are the remains of foundation walls of two buildings, probably warehouses, and a warehouse with a plaque on the wall to the Doctor to Queen Victoria, 1816-1890, having lived here. The house dates from the late C18 - early C19. At the west end of the quay is a trawler converted into a house and next to this is a series of revetments and a line of hard (wharf) together with what might be a cod box or a small dinghy (unable to get close for a good assessment). <1> Slides <3> Site Assessment: Important complex, the area needs full research and recording. Area is under threat from erosion and lack of adequate management. If any conservation work is carried out there should be an evaluation. Area needs monitoring. <1>
Monument Type(s) MALT HOUSE
WAREHOUSE
LIME KILN
SAW PIT
DRY DOCK
JETTY
WHARF
REVETMENT
SLUICE GATE
Monument Class(es) CONJECTURAL EVIDENCE
DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE
EARTHWORK
RUINED BUILDING
STRUCTURE
UNCERTAIN EVIDENCE
Period
Status Not Known
Administration Area THORPE-LE-SOKEN, TENDRING, ESSEX
National Grid Reference Square: TM12SE
Ref: 199239
Finds None listed
Events FIELD OBS by Leech, T,

Sources <1> Desc Text : Archaeological Survey of Beaumont Quay, Landermere Wharf & Batts Hall Dock (Leech, T) Record nos 10-20, 22 Dated : 1994

<2> Map : 1st Edition OS 6 inch map (Ordnance Survey) sheet 29 Dated : 1872-1890

<3> Photograph : Beaumont 26-38 (Leech, T) 13 frames Dated : unknown