Essex County Council Logo Unlocking Essex's Past - from Heritage Conservation at Essex County Council Unlocking Essex's Past Logo
 Home   Links   Help   Search   Feedback  EHER No. Search: GO
Home
Search Index Page
Freetext Search
  Monument Detail
Ready Made Searches

Display Monument

 Results List 
Monument Name Mashbury Road -Good Easter Road, Pleshey
SMR Number 1164
Summary Pleshey Stone, formerly stood on the green.
Media
None Available
Associated Media
None Available
Description 'Pleshey Stone', formerly stood on the green. <1> Presumably this is the same stone as that recorded by the RCHM, set in a garden wall at Mount House, 500yds north east of the church, with the inscription 'Ricardus rex ii'. <2> Stone indicates royal possession of the castle after the arrest of the Duke of Gloucester in 1397. <3> According to this source the stone is in Pleshey Church. <4> On the verge at the junction of the Mashbury, High Easter and Pleshey roads, a recumbent partially buried irregular boulder, c. 45 x 55 cm. Photograph and location maps in report. <5>
Monument Type(s) BOUNDARY MARKER (Dated 1300AD to 1399AD)
Monument Class(es) STONE
Period 1300AD to 1399AD Medieval
Status Not Known
Administration Area PLESHEY, CHELMSFORD, ESSEX
National Grid Reference Square: TL61SE
Ref: 661143
Finds None listed
Events Historic Boundary Markers in Essex by James Kemble

Sources <1> Desc Text : SMR form unknown Dated : 1960 0nwards

<2> Desc Text : An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 2 (RCHME) Vol 2, p202 Dated : 1921

<3> Desc Text : Report on Pleshey prepared for the consideration of the Planning Authority (Brinson, JGS) p2 Dated : 1965

<4> Excavation report : Pleshey Castle, Essex. 1st Interim Report, 1960 (Rahtz, PA) p4 Dated : 1960

<5> Desc Text : Historic Boundary Markers in Essex (Kemble, James) Dated : 1997