Essex County Council Logo Unlocking Essex's Past - from Heritage Conservation at Essex County Council Unlocking Essex's Past Logo
 Home   Links   Help   Search   Feedback  EHER No. Search: GO
Home
  Monument Detail
Ready Made Searches

Display Monument

 Results List 
Monument Name Church of St Peter and St Paul, Bardfield
SMR Number 1209
Summary Walls of flint rubble, dressings of shelly oolite and clunch.
Media
Church of St Peter and St Paul, Bardfield Saling, Braintree
Church of St Peter and St Paul, Bardfield Saling, Braintree
Church of St Peter and St Paul, Bardfield Saling, Braintree
Church of St Peter and St Paul, Bardfield Saling, Braintree
Church of St Peter and St Paul, Bardfield Saling, Braintree
Church of St Peter and St Paul, Bardfield Saling, Braintree
Church of St Peter and St Paul, Bardfield Saling, Braintree
Church of St Peter and St Paul, Bardfield Saling, Braintree
Church of St Peter and St Paul, Bardfield Saling, Braintree
Church of St Peter and St Paul, Bardfield Saling, Braintree
Church of St Peter and St Paul, Bardfield Saling, Braintree
Church of St Peter and St Paul, Bardfield Saling, Braintree
Associated Media
None Available
Description Walls of flint rubble, dressings of shelly oolite and clunch. Nave, south aisle and west tower and possibly south porch built in 1st half of 14th century, probably left unfinished at the time of the Black Death, 1348-1349. Consecrated 1380 when the chancel was added. Round tower is one of a group in north west Essex and is unusually late. The south west angle of the south aisle was rebuilt, probably when the former south porch was destroyed. Chancel roof has moulded wall-plates of the 14th century. Features and fittings: windows of the first half of the 14th century and 1380, doorways of 1st half of 14th century, indent of mid C15, late 15th century font, 14th century glass, piscina of 14th century, screen in chancel of 14th century. <1> 14th century with chancel probably completed last. West tower, windows look early 14th century, early-mid 14th century windows in nave and chancel, marked difference in style between south arcade and chancel arch-latter has late 14th century looking responds. Screen contemporary with chancel. <2> Water colour by Kenneth Rowtree in ERO, print from magazine in SMR. <3> Evidence of an altar or chapel previously dedicated to St Margaret refered to in 1424. Author of letter thought south aisle of present church was the chantry of St Margaret. Why such a large building here?-Was it a calling place for pilgrims. <4> The floor below the 18th century gallery at the west end is tiled with medieval floor tiles. West of the south doorway are part of an early wall painting and inscriptions. Sedile below the south east window. <5> Drainage trenches around the south side of the church revealed the robber trench for the former east bay of the chancel which had been shortened. <6> Letter in SMR from former Vicar with copy of photograph of church, taken before damage from enemy action during the last war. This shows two doorways in the E end. Even if these were originally open arches, they seem to suggest that the original E end was other than a chancel. "I think it suggests some other use for that part of the building - which I am still inclined to think may have been a shrine". The Vicar has drawn up an account of the `Restoration Years' at Bardfield Saling (1973-1987) incorporating reports of discoveries made during this period (see above). <7> <8> <9> In June 1994 the cement gutter was removed along the south and east sides of the church exposing the 14thC foundations. These have a moulded base in oolitic limestone, comprising a weathering witha hollow chamfer oversailing an ashlar course. This is above a bottom course with a chamfered weathering. Depth of the foundation is at least 350mm and unusually the exterior ground level seems hardly to have risen since the 14thC rebuilding of the church. Work on underpinning also revealed the existence of buttress remains which makes it possible to reconstruct the appearance of the south elevation of the aisle, with buttresses at regular intervals symmetrically framing the windows. Immediately west of the missing buttress the foundation of the aisle is made of ashlar below ground level. West of the aisle a semi-octagonal base of dressed oolitic limestone was found projecting out at ground level. This was left in situ. West of the porch were found the medieval foundations of the porch. Four purbeck marble paving stones, possibly seats from the porch were lifted and examined. The buttress at the south west corner of the nave is founded on a massive boulder like that seen just outside the churchyard. The chancel foundation has no plinth or offset and looks much earlier possibly 12th/13thC. An in situ medieval tile pavement was seen 200mm below ground level near the north half of the east wall of the chancel. The tiles bear the heraldic emblems of the Tyrell family. They are provisionally dated to the 15th C.<10> Site Assessment = Round tower is one of a group in north west Essex and is unusually late. <1> "The round tower is one of 6 remaining in Essex and is the only example in the United Kingdom of the decorated period and, therefore, apparently the last of its kind to be built in Medieval times". <5> Church may have originally been mainly concerned with a pilgrimage shrine? <7> Listed Building Description: TL 62 NE BARDFIELD SALING THE STREET 1/31 Church of St. Peter and St. Paul GV I Parish Church. C14. Said to have been unfinished at the time of the Black Death 1348-9. Consecrated and Chancel added 1380. C17-C20 alterations and additions. Flint walls with some rendering. Stone and clunch dressings. Red plain tiled Nave and Chancel roofs that to Chancel hipped with gablet, grey slate south aisle lean-to roof. Stone parapet verge with cross to Nave. Exterior. East wall of Chancel rebuilt and plastered with no east window, after rocket damage during 1939-45 War, North and south walls each with a window of 2 trefoiled ogee lights with tracery under segmental pointed head with labels and head stops. Nave. North wall with 4 buttresses, two 2 light windows with tracery over in 2 centred heads, the eastern window with a fragment of medieval glass. North doorway now blocked with chamfered 2-centred arch with label and stops. West of this door is a stoup with pointed stone head, red brick supports and stone bowl. The circular plan west tower, ll½ feet in diameter, is of 3 stages with plain parapet. North, south and west ground floor windows each of one trefoiled light. Second stage with similar windows to south and west. Bell chamber with north, south, east and west windows each of 2 cinquefoil lights in 2-centred heads with labels. The south east stair turret with cruciform loops. Gargoyles to parapet. Nave. South wall with buttress to west angle and 2 light window adjoining. East wall window of 3 cusped lights with tracery over. Label with foliate stops. Above the Chancel arch is a chamfered window opening of one Light with a 2 centred head. South Aisle. Two buttresses and 2 restored 2- light windows under segmental pointed heads with labels and stops. South porch C19/C20 2-centred arch. The south doorway similar to north door. Above the porch is a stone arch, probably the grooving of a previous porch. Internal features. Ceiled and plastered 7 cant roofs to Nave and Chancel. The Chancel with probably C14 wall plates. The Nave with 4 plain tie beams and moulded wall plates. The Chancel arch is 2-centred of 2 orders, on the east side the moulded jambs have one semi-octagonal and 2 semi-circular shafts with moulded capitals and a chamfered plinth. South of the Chancel arch is an ogee-headed squint cut down to floor level. There is a mid-C15 indent of a man and a woman with an inscription plate on the Chancel floor. The Nave has a C18 gallery at the western end, with panelled front and 2 chamfered support columns. The gallery houses a C18 chamber organ, once the property of Sir George Elvey, for many years organist of the Chapel Royal, Windsor and dedicated in this church 1933. The floor below the gallery is tiled with medieval floor tiles. Circa 1625 wooden hexagonal Pulpit is carved with angle pilasters and arches in perspective to panels. Carved panelling in front of pulpit. Late C18 panelled pews. Late C15 octagonal Font with ogee headed panels and panelled stem. C17 oak chest. The South Arcade and Aisle of 3 bays has 2 centred arches of 2 moulded orders, moulded labels with head stops. Quatrefoil columns with keeled rolls between the foils, moulded capitals and bases. Graffiti, including 2 human figures and inscriptions John Guest 1608, P. Goodey 1782, Thos. Cross 1796 to bases of arcade columns. C14 screen at eastern end of arcade, of 2 bays, each of 4 trefoiled ogee lights with quatrefoil tracery, moulded mullions, posts and top plate. The screen was at one time used as a reredos to the main altar and the 3 frames of fine CL9 straw work at the west end of the aisle were made to fit into it. C14 Piscina in south wall with moulded trefoiled ogee head and label, no bowl. To the west of the Piscina is a crudely worked bowl with foliate decoration reputed to be part of a pillar piscina. Sedile below south east window has its cill carried down to form a seat, with splays Cut back and ornamented with cinquefoiled squinches. Part of an early wall painting and inscriptions to west of south doorway. West Tower, east doorway has chamfered jambs and a 2 centred arch of 2 moulded orders with a moulded label and head stops, above which is a window of one trefoiled light. The round tower is one of 6 remaining in Essex and is the only example in the United Kingdon of the decorated period and, therefore, apparently the last of its kind to be built in Medieval times. RCHM 1. Listing NGR: TL6861326514
Monument Type(s) CHURCH (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
FONT (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
WALL (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
Monument Class(es) CONJECTURAL EVIDENCE
DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE
EXTANT BUILDING
FLINT
SUB SURFACE DEPOSIT
Period 1066AD to 1539AD Medieval
Status Listed Building (EH)
Administration Area BARDFIELD SALING, BRAINTREE, ESSEX
National Grid Reference Square: TL62NE
Ref: 686265
Finds None listed
Events SALV RECORD by Andrews, DD,

Sources Photograph : unknown (unknown) Dated : unknown

<1> Desc Text : An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 1 (RCHME) Vol 1, pp11-12 Dated : 1916

<10> Desc Text : Bardfield Saling Church (Andrews, D) 1994 - with sketch Dated : 1994

<2> Desc Text : The Buildings of England, Essex (Pevsner, N) p62 Dated : 1954

<3> Graphic material : Bardfield (or little) Saling Church (Rowntree, K) Dated : unknown

<4> CORRESPONDENCE : SMR (Pope, Rev. RJ) Dated : 1975

<5> Desc Text : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Braintree (Department of the Environment) pp10-11 Dated : 1985

<6> Desc Text : Bardfield Saling Church. Drain digging 1987 (Andrews, DD) Dated : 1987

<7> CORRESPONDENCE : Little (Bardfield) Saling Church (Pope, Rev. RJ) Dated : 1987

<8> Photograph : SMR (unknown) with letter in SMR Dated : unknown

<9> Desc Text : DESC TEXT (Pope, Rev. RJ) account of restoration years (1973-87) Dated : unknown