Essex County Council Logo Unlocking Essex's Past - from Heritage Conservation at Essex County Council Unlocking Essex's Past Logo
 Home   Links   Help   Search   Feedback  EHER No. Search: GO
Home
  Monument Detail
Ready Made Searches

Display Monument

 Results List 
Monument Name St Osyth's Priory (for earlier Nunnery see 46047)
SMR Number 4
Summary St Osyth's Priory was founded for the Austin Canons in 1121, became an Abbey in c1150 and was suppressed in 1539.
Media
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St. Osyth Priory
St. Osyth Priory
St. Osyth Priory
St. Osyth Priory
St. Osyth Priory
St. Osyth Priory
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St Osyth's Priory, St Osyth, Tendring
St. Osyths Priory
St. Osyths Priory
St. Osyths Priory
St. Osyths Priory
St. Osyths Priory
St. Osyths Priory
St. Osyths Priory
St. Osyths Priory
St. Osyths Priory
St. Osyths Priory
St. Osyths Priory
St. Osyths Priory
Associated Media
None Available
Description St Osyth's Priory was founded for the Austin Canons in 1121, became an Abbey in c1150 and was suppressed in 1539. It came into the possession of Lord Darcy in 1553, he converted it into a house, destroying some parts and and making additions. <1> <2> Founded before 1127 for Austin Canons by the Bishop of London. The earliest remaining work is the sub-vault of the Dorter range, dating from the period of the foundation. Parts of the walls bounding the cloister on the north and west be contemporary. The remains, probably, of the kitchen are early 13th century, as are the remains of the early gatehouse. The Frater was rebuilt c1230-1240, with the vaulted passage to the east of it. The vaults in the west range were built around the end of the 13th century. The great gatehouse and the ranges flanking and projecting south from it date from the late 15th century. The eastern range incorporates an earlier gatehouse. In about 1527 Abbot Vintoner made extensive additions in brick, including the range running north from the west range and the Bishop's Lodging, a range projecting towards the west. After Lord Darcy acquired the Abbey, some parts were destroyed and additions were made (see 0000). The church, which lay south of the cloister, was destroyed with most of the east and west claustral ranges, although parts of the outer walls of the cloister have survived. Although nothing survives of the church, foundations of the nave were met in making the sunk lawn south of the house. The Frater survives in part only; the passage is now useed as a chapel. The Bishop's Lodging was almost entirely rebuilt in 1866, apart from the south front, dating from c1527. A large oriel window over the main archway has early Rennaissance ornament and shields with the date, 1527. The gatehouse has elaborate flushwork on the south front. The precinct wall is of various dates: the part at the south-east angle may be late 14th century. There is a 13th century coffin lid in the garden north east of the house. The RCHM has several photos of the house. <3> <13> The house was anomalously rich for the eastern area, as indicated by the embellishment on the gatehouse. This source gives various documentary refs. <12> The west range flanking the gatehouse includes a medieval bakehouse and a 14th century gateway. The gatehouse has been converted into a private residence. Abbot Vintoner's buildings are now part of a convalescent home, with the remains of the Dorter and part of the Frater. The present chapel incorporates part of the east Dorter range, referred to above as the Frater passage. There are medieval floor tiles, some coloured and impressed. Various parts of the medieval precinct wall survive. <13> APs in SMR. <4> <5> <6> Extensive photgraphic record in SMR. <7> <8> <9> <15> <17> <18> Roman brick and tile in the fabric. (see 2820). Letter referring to a possible site of archaeological interest on the field to the east of Darcy Tower. <16> Guide books with descriptions. <19> <20> <21> St Osyth's Priory was built on or near the site of an earlier nunnery. See 46047 for details. Site Management: = Convalescent home outside scheduled area, also parts of the south and east walls abutting it, and the gatehouse. See map in SMR. <14> Site Assessment = "The house is of great interest both for the remains of monastic work and for the work of Lord Darcy. The gatehouse is amongst the finest examples of this class of structure the country". <3> The gatehouse is the splendid survival of the Abbey. "It vies with the gatehouse of St John's Abbey at Colchester for first place amongst monastic buildings in Essex". The carving on the head of the oriel window of the south front of the Bishop's Lodging marks one of the earliest introductions of the Rennaissance style to the county. The Frater and, particularly, the passage are fine examples of 13th century work. <10> The Priory The most important feature of medieval St Osyth is the priory (ESMR 4). The Priory of St Osyth was founded before 1127 (possibly in 1121), for the Austin Canons, by Richard de Belmeis, Bishop of London. The earliest remaining building is the sub-vault of the Dorter range which dates to the early twelfth century, the cloister is also possibly of this date. The priory became an Augustinian Abbey in about 1200 AD. The kitchen and the remnants of the earlier gateway are of early thirteenth century date. The Frater and the vaulted passage to the east were rebuilt c.1230-40. At the end of the thirteenth century the vaults in the west range were added. Late in the fifteenth century the Great Gatehouse was built, along with the ranges flanking it and projecting from it to the south. About 1527 Abbot Vintoner made extensive alterations, including the building of the western range and the Bishop’s Lodging. The buildings are characterised by magnificent chequer-board patterning of ashlar, septaria and flint. There are parchmarks (CUCAP:- BXT 22-3, 21/6/76) to the immediate north of the priory buildings in the lawned area, these appear to show a further two rectangular buildings, on the same alignment as the remaining buildings. The priory was suppressed in 1539, and in 1553 it came into the possession of Lord Darcy who converted some of the buildings into a house and levelled others, including the abbey church (now under the rose garden). About 1600 a large red brick built house was erected on the site of the northern portion of the cloister. In the seventeenth or eighteenth century the eastern portion of the buildings fell into ruin, and in the mid-eighteenth century the wing to the west of the Bishops Lodging was built. The final building phase was in 1866 with the rebuilding of the Bishops Lodging and the addition of a wing on the east of it. <27>
Monument Type(s) BAKEHOUSE (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
GREAT HOUSE (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
CHURCH (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
COFFIN (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
ABBEY (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
PRIORY (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
BUILDING (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
BUILDING (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
BUILDING (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
GATE (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
GATEHOUSE (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
GATEHOUSE (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
WALL (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
WALL (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
WALL (Dated 1066AD to 1539AD)
Monument Class(es) BRICK
CROPMARK
DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE
EXTANT BUILDING
RUINED BUILDING
STONE
STRUCTURE
Period 1066AD to 1539AD Medieval
Status Scheduled Monument
Administration Area ST OSYTH, TENDRING, ESSEX
National Grid Reference Square: TM11NW
Ref: 122157
Finds STONE COFFIN (Dated 1066AD To 1539AD)

Events FULL PHOTO RECORD by Hedges, JD, 1974

PART PHOTO RECORD by Couchman, CR, 1975

St Osyth Field Observation

Field visit to 4 by Paterson, H, FMW on OCT-1981

Field visit to 4 by Corbishley, M J, FMW on JAN-1984

Field visit to 4 by Paterson, H, FMW on JUN-1987

Field visit to 4 by Paterson, H, FMW on MAY-1990

Field visit to 4 by Paterson, H, FMW on FEB-1993

Sources <1> Mention : SMR (unknown) Dated : unknown

<10> Desc Text : The Buildings of England, Essex (Pevsner, N) pp310-313 Dated : 1954

<12> Desc Text : The Geography of Augustinian Settlement (Robinson, DM) No 80, p38, 117, 135, 155, 219, 222, 287, 289, see SMR Dated : 1980

<13> Desc Text : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Tendring (Department of the Environment) pp72-78 Dated : 1986

<14> Map : SMR (Department of the Environment) Scheduling map Dated : unknown

<16> Desc Text : St Osyth's Priory (Fine, D) Dated : unknown

<19> Desc Text : St. Osyth's Abbey (also known as St. Osyth Priory) (written post 1979) (unknown) Dated : unknown

<2> RECORD SHEET/FORM : OS cards (Ordnance Survey) TM11NW13, 1977 Dated : unknown

<20> Desc Text : St. Osyth (unknown) Dated : 1979 c.

<21> Desc Text : The Private Art Collection at St. Osyth's Priory (unknown) Dated : unknown

<27> Desc Text : St Osyth Historic Town Assessment Report (Medlycott, Maria) Dated : 1999

<28> Desc Text : St Osyth's Priory (Fine, D) Dated : unknown

<29> Aerial Photo : CP/97/29/32 (Tyler, Sue) Dated : 1997

<3> Desc Text : An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3 (RCHME) Part 3, pp 198-204 Dated : 1922

<30> Aerial Photo : CP/97/29/34 (Tyler, Sue) Dated : 1997

<31> Aerial Photo : CP/98/16/4, 6 (Strachan, David) Dated : 1998

<32> Photograph : Church Photgraphs Autumn 2000 (Andrews, David) HBR/BW/01/4 Dated : 2000

<33> Photograph : Aerial Photograph St Osyth Priory 1985/8-5,6,8 (unknown) Dated : 1985

<34> Aerial Photo : CP/00/39/14-15 (Tyler, Sue) Dated : 2000

<4> Aerial Photo : BXT22 (CUCAP) Dated : 1976

<5> Aerial Photo : CFW35 (CUCAP) Dated : 1979

<6> Aerial Photo : TM1215/SF1256/375 (NMR) Date 1978:6 Dated : 1978

<7> Photograph : TM11-001 (Hedges, John D) 21 frames Dated : 1974

<8> Photograph : TM11-001 (Couchman, CR) 10 frames Dated : 1975