Essex County Council Logo Unlocking Essex's Past - from Heritage Conservation at Essex County Council Unlocking Essex's Past Logo
 Home   Links   Help   Search   Feedback  EHER No. Search: GO
Home
Ready Searches
  Monument Search Results
Ready Made Searches

Search Results

Your Search returned more than 600 results : below are the first 600 records.  Search Again 
SMR Number Monument Name Summary
  1198   Parkgate   Possible homestead moat.  
  1199   Parkgate   Present "Parkgate" is modern but owner has photographs of an earlier house on the same site, externally Georgian, destroyed by bombing in the last war..  
  1200   Great Lodge   Moated site, causeway across south arm of moat.  
  1201   Great Lodge   The Great Lodge was probably pulled down c1730-1740 and the stables converted into a farmhouse.  
  1206   Pollards Farm   Possible homestead moat.  
  1207   Pollards Farm   C16 or earlier timber framed house.  
  1208   Parsonage Farm   Possible moat.  
  1209   Church of St Peter and St Paul, Bardfield   Walls of flint rubble, dressings of shelly oolite and clunch.  
  1210   Church of St Peter and St Paul, Bardfield   In the 19th century the chancel was shortened at the east end, the south porch added and the church generally restored.  
  1266   Windmill at Crow's Green   Wind mill.  
  1267   Church of St James, Great Sailing   Walls are of flint rubble with blocks of freestone.  
  1268   Church of St James, Great Sailing   Early history much obscured by 19th century repairs, nothing remains to indicate the date of the chancel.  
  1304   House due east of Bardfield Sailing church   House due east of church-late medieval pottery found during restoration work here a few years ago.  
  1415   Finchingfield Guildhall   Now the Parish Hall and Almshouses, north west of the churchyard.  
  1416   Finchingfield Guildhall   Some of the chimneystacks are of old bricks.  
  1420   Church of St John the Baptist, Bardfield   Altogether an impressive church on a commanding site.  
  1421   Church of St John the Baptist, Bardfield   Walls are of flint-rubble with limestone and clunch dressings.  
  1422   Church of St John the Baptist, Bardfield   A spire fell in the 17th century, the church was restored in the 19th century and the south porch was rebuilt.  
  1456   Latchley's Farm   Moat.  
  1457   Latchley's Farm   South wing built c1500, in the 16th century the west wing was added.  
  1458   Herkstead Green Farm   Moat  
  1459   Herkstead Hall   Moat, manorial.  
  1460   Herkstead Hall   House is 2-storied, walls are plastered, timber-frame.  
  1461   Brockhold Farm   Moat  
  1462   Brockhold Farm   House is 2-storied, timber-framed and plastered.  
  1463   Jekylls Farm   Moat  
  1464   Cornish Hall   Moat, manorial.  
  1465   Cornish Hall Farmhouse   C16 timber framed house, altered in C18.  
  1483   Obourne's or Olbourne's Farm   Tudor dovecote.  
  1484   Spains Hall   Moat formerly surrounded the house, obliterated except on the north west side.  
  1485   Spains Hall   House, 2-storied, attics and associated buildings.  
  1489   Howe Hall   Moat, Domesday Manor.  
  1490   Great Biggins   Moat  
  1491   Great Biggins   House is 2-storied, timber-framed and plastered.  
  1494   Great Winsey moated site and fishpond   Moat, manorial.  
  1495   Great Winsey   The former house was 2-storied, timber-framed and plastered.  
  1496   Petches   Moat, manorial.  
  1497   Petches Farmhouse   Late C13/early C14 and late C15 timber framed house.  
  1498   Great Bardfield - Guildhall   Guildhall.  
  1500   Church of St Mary the Virgin, Great Bardfield   Walls are of flint-rubble with limestone and clunch dressings, (also Roman brick-see 1499).  
  1501   Church of St Mary the Virgin, Great Bardfield   Church restored in the 19th century, north vestry is modern.  
  1504   Great Bardfield   Medieval sherds, 1 token.  
  1507   Lodge Wood   Banks of Roman road adapted to form medieval woodland boundaries.  
  1525   Gibraltar Mill - This record is a duplicate of EHER 29420   Site of wind mill.  
  1527   Duck End (east side) - The Windmill   Wind mill.  
  1549   Waltham Cross   Medieval sherds.  
  1558   Great Bardfield watermill and bridge   Great Bardfield water mill, 19th century.  
  1591   Helions Moat   Moat  
  1592   Helions Farmhouse, Helions Bumpstead   19th century occupied building on the island of a moated site. Remains of an earlier house uncovered.  
  1597   Horseham Hall   Homestead moat.  
  1598   Sturmer Hall moated site and mill complex   Moat, Domesday Manor.  
  1599   Sturmer Hall   Late C16 manor house.  
  1601   Church of St Mary the Virgin, Sturmer   Nave is pre-conquest.  
  1602   Church of St Mary the Virgin, Sturmer   Walls are flint and pebble rubble with limestone and clunch dressings.  
  1603   Church of St Mary the Virgin, Sturmer   The whole church was carefully restored in the 19th century.  
  1604   STURMER   Possible DMV? <1> Presumably because church is isolated from the village.  
  1605   Upper House (Little Waltons Farm)   Moat  
  1606   Upper House Farmhouse (Little Waltons Farm)   Late C14/early C15 timber framed manor house.  
  1607   Water Lane-Boblow   Moat, irregular shape.  
  1608   Boblow House   Late C16 timber framed building, possibly a hunting lodge.  
  1609   Moyns Park (formerly listed as Moynes Park)   Moat  
  1610   Moyns Park (formerly listed as Moynes Park)   C16 and later country house, incorporating courtyard house of c.1500.  
  1611   Old Hall   Moat and fish ponds.  
  1612   Old Hall   17th century brick building, occupied.  
  1614   Church of St Andrew, Helions Bumpstead   The walls are plastered flint rubble with limestone and clunch dressings..  
  1615   Church of St Andrew, Helions Bumpstead   Early in the 19th century the west tower and parts of the south aisle were rebuilt, the south porch and vestry were added, these parts of the building are all brick.  
  1616   Bower Hall   Built c1720, probably near the site of former house.  
  1617   Bower Hall   Built c1720, probably near the site of former house, contains reused fireplaces of the 1st half of the 17th century.  
  1618   Wind mill at Mill Farm.   Wind mill at Mill Farm.  
  1619   Church of St Mary the Virgin, Steeple Bumpstead   The 8th century bronze boss on the chancel door is remarkable.  
  1620   Church of St Mary the Virgin, Steeple Bumpstead   Walls are of flint rubble and red brick with dressings of limestone and clunch.  
  1621   Church of St Mary the Virgin, Steeple Bumpstead   The church was generally restored c1880  
  1623   Wiggens Farm   Possibly moated site.  
  1624   Wiggens Farmhouse   C16 timber framed house.  
  1628   Copy Farm   "Odd sherd from ditch at Copy Farm"-marking on the original bag.  
  1629   Helions Bumpstead   "Sherds from hedgeline from Brooks to New Copse Hall"-marked on the original bag.  
  1630   Helions Bumpstead   "Sherds from water pipe-line New Copse Hall"-marked on original bag..  
  1631   Helions Bumpstead   "Copy "Old House" TL64 664535 opp Horsham Hall"-marked on original bag.  
  1632   Helions Bumpstead   2 grey ware sherds from ditch Copy-Copse Hall line, found amalgamated with site TL64-022, 1631 but to be treated as a separate site.  
  1634   Garland's Wood   Medieval (?) pottery, including grey coarse ware everted and beaded jar rim sherds, "sherds from bottom of Harrison's Wood Garland Wood 679433"-marked on original bag.  
  1635   Garland's Wood   Post medieval pottery, 20 sherds, including post medieval glazed oxidised ware rim, "sherds from bottom of Harrison's Wood Garland Wood 679433".  
  5689   Mawden Hall   Moat <1> <2> Incomplete, rectangular <3> Sketch plan on back of MSRG card.  
  5959   Dagnett's Farm   Moat <1> <2> Incomplete, in fair condition <3> Incomplete, rectangular <4> Sketch plan, presumably drawn from OS, on back MSRG card <5>  
  5980   Wren Park Farm   Fragmentary moat south east of Wren Park Farm <1> In fair condition in 1950 <2> "OS 1976 record the water features here as only extra wide drainage ditches for surface water" <4> in <3> <5> Incomplete, rectangular.  
  5982   Dines Hall   Moat, island formerly divided by a cross-arm <1> <2> Was in fair condition in 1950 <3> Complete, rectangular <4> Sketch plan on back of MSRG card, presumably taken from OS map <5> Probably to be associated with the family of John  
  5983   Dines Hall   Medieval or C16 and later timber framed house.  
  5985   White Notley Hall   2-storied house with attics.  
  5986   White Notley   2-storied house, with attics, The walls are part timber-framed and plastered and part red brick.  
  5990   White Notley Hall   Owner reportedly conducting own excavations in 1976.  
  5993   Church Field, White Notley   The owner of White Notley Hall has a collection of Roman and medieval pottery and occupation debris from this site and also from 5989.  
  5996   White Notley-Vicarage Avenue-70   4 or 5 sherds of medieval pottery from rear garden here.  
  5998   Church of St Etheldreda, White Notley   In the 19th century vestry, reset in the east wall, is a round-headed window, cut in one stone, removed from an arch or recess in the chancel north wall.  
  5999   Church of St Etheldreda, White Notley   The chancel-arch and western part of the chancel probably date from the late 11th century  
  6000   Church of St Etheldreda, White Notley   The church was restored in the 19th century.  
  6001   Great Loys   Homestead moat, in very good condition in 1950.  
  6002   Great Loys Farmhouse   'Loys Hall' is shown on the C and A map.  
  6003   Beauchamps   Imperfect moat.  
  6004   Beauchamps   Early C16 and later timber framed house.  
  6006   Fairstead Rectory   Pre 1900 potsherds were found in the rectory garden at Fairstead.  
  6011   Cressing Temple   Excavations on site of Templar Preceptory from 1978-1981, first by Bramston Archaeological Field Unit and, later, by the Brain Valley Archaeological Society.  
  6013   Cressing Temple   In 1541 the manor of Cressing was granted to the tenant, John Smith, by Henry VIII.  
  6042   Terling Churchyard   Silver penny of Henry III found in Terling churchyard <1> <2>  
  6043   All Saints' Church, Terling   Flint rubble walls, limestone and clunch dressings.  
  6044   All Saints' Church, Terling   West tower, except east wall, was rebuilt in 1732.  
  6045   Canewdon Dic   A hollow ditch called 'Canewdon Dic' in a 15th century rental in the Essex Record Office.  
  6046   Terling Hall   Originally built in the 15th century, the western part has been pulled down..  
  6047   Terling Hall   Originally a 15th century house.  
  6050   Toppinghoe Hall   2-storied house with attics.  
  6051   The site of an annexe to Hatfield Priory - possibly   Recorded by OS as an "Air Photo Site".  
  6052   Hatfield Priory   A secular college is said to have been founded here in the 11th century.  
  6053   Hatfield Priory   After the Priory was dissolved in 1536 (see 6052 for Priory), demolition left the parochial nave and the west arch of the former central tower..  
  6055   Mowden Hall   Homestead moat  
  6056   Mowden Hall   The present 19th century hall is on a moated site (see 6055) <1> In the 16th century it was held by John Aylmer who was appointed Archdeacon of Lincoln in 1562 and Bishop of London from 1572 until his death in 1594..  
  6058   The Windmill, Mill Lane   Weatherboarded, octagonal smock mill.  
  6064   East of Taylors Farm   Old road shown on C and A map of 1777, following boundary between the parishes of Terling and Hatfield Peverel.  
  6066   Boundary stone on triangle of land at Friars Farm   Late C17 boundary stone.  
  6085   Great Warley Hall   17th century house, now 2 tenements and a barn.  
  6090   Church of St Mary the Virgin and St Peter, Fairstead   Saxon architectural features <1> "A most interesting little church, generally assumed to be Norman, but equally possibly late Saxon".  
  6091   Church of St Mary the Virgin and St Peter, Fairstead   The church's walls are flint and pebble rubble.  
  6092   Church of St Mary the Virgin and St Peter, Fairstead   The spire was probably added early in the 17th century (c1600).  
  6102   Crix   "Site of 'Crix' demolished in late 18th C.  
  6106   South of Bridge Farm   Iron age or medieval pottery found in gravel pit <1> <2>  
  6107   Peverel Gardens-Plot 39   Field name evidence-'Moat Field' on Tithe Award  
  6108   Peverel Gardens-Plot 39   Watching brief carried out here in 1977 (see 6107 for context).  
  48069   Gardener's or Hatfield Windmill (site of)   Smock Mill existed from 1824 till it was demolished in 1942.  
  6110   South of Hatfield Bury   13th century sherds from medieval rubbish pit found while building by-pass <1> 'Col Mus' given as reference-to annotated map or artefacts in Colchester Museum? <2> <3>  
  6111   Church Hills   "Traditional site of parish church is Church Hills Fields, west of Church Hills wood...  
  6112   Church Hills   Possible site of Domesday Book village (see 6113).  
  6113   Church Hills   "Curved bank in wood.  
  6119   North of Lynderwood Court   "Sherd of rouletted and incised stoneware ?C19".  
  6125   North east of Farding's Farm   Roman coin hoard found in vase, ploughed up in c1898.  
  6128   Church Field, Hatfield Peverel   Probable site of old parish church of Hatfield Peverel on an eminence near the river.  
  6136   North of Godfry's Farm   Medieval pottery found after ploughing in December 1976.  
  6158   United Reformed Church, Terling   Mid C18 congregational church, altered in C19.  
  6192   Bocking   A chapel here had been given by John Rocheford for a priest to celebrate mass in.  
  6196   Near Great Sailing   Medieval pottery found at Great Saling.  
  6201   Near Rayne   A damaged silver penny and a 17th century token were found.  
  6203   Braintree   A coin of c1361, a quarter noble, was found at a not closely specified location on the bank of a disused railway line at Braintree, in 1980? <1> <2>  
  6210   Vicinity of Gosfield Park   Medieval pottery was presented to Colchester Museum in 1888 by Rev H L Elliot, Vicar of Gosfield 1871-1920 <1> <2> <3> See TL72-014, 0000 for medieval finds from vicarage garden at Gosfield..  
  6231   Bocking Windmill   Post mill in good condition in 1954.  
  6232   Bocking Windmill - original site   The windmill moved from this site in 1830.  
  6241   Reynes Manor House   Site of manor house on Chapel Hill.  
  6243   Coldhall Farm   Very incomplete homestead moat.  
  6244   Panfield Priory   The probable site of a Priory, a cell of St Stephen's Abbey at Caen.  
  6245   Great Priory Farm   A thatched barn, 10 bays long, with aisles and half-hipped at the ends.  
  6246   Great Priory Farm   The 'Granary' is a square building, on staddle stones, with a steeply pitched pyramidal, clay tile roof-this once had an oak finial.  
  6249   Near Shalford Green   Wind mill shown on C and A map of 1777  
  6251   Panfield Hall   Moated site.  
  6252   Panfield Hall   C16 great house, with C18 and C20 alterations.  
  6255   Gosfield Vicarage   Fragments of large early C13 pottery found in the vicarage garden.  
  6256   Gosfield Hall   This was, originally, a quadrangular mid 16th century house.  
  6257   Gosfield Hall-Well House and Donkey Wheel   Well house and donkey wheel attached to Gosfield Hall. Wheel house and well, probably dating from the 17th-18th centuries.  
  6258   Bocking-Mill Hill   A moated mound c10m in diameter at the base x 6ft high.  
  6259   Bocking-Fennes   Moat, in good condition in 1950  
  6260   Bocking-Fennes   "Possible DMV-showing as 6 large hollows and slight embankments.  
  6261   Bocking-Murell's Farm   Moat, part filled in on the east side.  
  6262   Braintree-Murell's Farm   Site of 17th century farmhouse, destroyed but marked by building debris <1> <3> in <2> Moated site-see 06261  
  6265   Braintree-Willoughby's Farm   Imperfect moat, in fairly good condition in 1950 according to OS card.  
  6266   Cropmark S of Kentishes Farm   A medieval stone mortar fragment was found here in 1948 during mole draining..  
  6267   Blake End-Oak Inn   A fragment of a Purbeck marble mortar.  
  6269   The Old Hall   Moat, partly filled in on the east and west sides.  
  6274   Little Common, Rayne   Homestead moat sited 250 yds south by east of Rayne railway station  
  6277   Braintree-Rosemary Avenue 154?   "Finds from building site topsoil heaps: medieval pottery".  
  6281   East of Blake House Farm   Spread of 13th century (?) pottery.  
  6283   Kemp's Wood   "A medieval kiln, according to the farmer, was ploughed up before being investigated near Harmers Farm (TL 768285) at Gosfield." The kiln site was marked by burnt red clay, dark soil and charcoal (?) according to OS card of 1975.  
  6284   Braintree-Coggeshall Road, Mark's Farmhouse   Incomplete moat, in fairly good condition according to OS card for 1950.  
  6285   Braintree-Coggeshall Road, Mark's Farmhouse   17th century, 2-storied timber-framed and plastered house.  
  6288   Braintree-Saxon Settlement   Morant associates the early Braintree with Sandpit Leet.  
  6289   Braintree-Medieval and Post-medieval Town   The Bishop of London owned the manor of Great Rayne in which pre-conquest settlement at Braintree was sited.  
  6292   Braintree-Brands   Trial trenching carried out here in 2 areas.  
  6299   Braintree - Bank site, 47 High Street (BH85)   "One of a series of test excavations to assess the Roman and medieval settlement in the area of the proposed redevelopment....  
  6300   Braintree - Rayne Road (RR84) (BT3)   "Site on, or near, the line of the Roman road, is still under excavation..  
  6301   Site of Lamberts Mill, within Braintree on Rayne Road   Site of a windmill, now demolished  
  6307   Braintree-Hunnable's Gravel Pit   There are 2 knives in the Hunnable collection in Colchester Museum which are accompanied by a note describing them as from "?Anglo-Saxon-Burial ground in an obliterated British entrenchment".  
  6308   Braintree-Hunnable's Gravel Pit   Pottery found here included a rim of a grey ware 13th century cooking pot.  
  6313   St Michael's Churchyard, Braintree   The Kenworthy collection in Colchester Museum includes a sherd of a medium- sized storage jar in coarse brown fabric, with many lacunae, of 1st century AD date.  
  6315   St Michael's Church, Braintree   The church walls are composed of flint-rubble, mixed with Roman bricks and pudding-stone.  
  6316   St Michael's Church, Braintree   The church was much restored in the 19th century.  
  6321   Braintree-Bank Street, 8 (Lloyd's Bank)   Discoveries made during the rebuilding of the bank in 1957 included 2 wells, not pre 18th century in date.  
  6329   Braintree-High Street, 45   The Kenworthy collection in Colchester Museum includes a sherd from a 13th- 14th century bowl in a "hard greyish-brown sandy fabric, found under the cellar floor of the London and County Bank, Spring 1907" <1> <2> Now the National Westmin  
  6337   Braintree-Rayne Road   A rough bone handle from 'Rayne Road' looks post-medieval.  
  6340   Bocking-Bradford Street   "The Kenworthy collection includes a sherd from a large bowl in grey ware, with combed decoration, `excavated' from a `Romano-British pit, Bradford Street, Bocking, March 1899, at Dr Scott's Surgery'.  
  6349   Braintree-Bank Street, 3   Site inspected after the discovery of a well during construction of a rear extension here.  
  6350   Braintree-Bank Street, 3   Site inspected after the discovery of a well during construction of a rear extension line.  
  6353   Braintree-Rayne Road, 112-130   Medieval and later tile fragments were found in the fill of a probably post medieval roadside gravel pit, during trial excavations here in 1976 (see 6352 for general context of finds) <1>  
  6354   112-130 Rayne Road, Braintree   Medieval and later tile fragments were found in the fill of a, probably, post medieval roadside gravel pit, during trial excavations here in 1976.  
  6355   Braintree-Tesco's Supermarket   Two trenches dug across the cattle market site (now Tesco's Supermarket) in 1973.  
  6359   Braintree-Flock Inn   Excavated in 1981.  
  6360   Braintree-Flock Inn   Excavated in 1981.  
  6363   Braintree - Tofts Garage (now J Sainsburys)   Excavation prior to redevelopment indicated a 13th to 14th century date for the primary fills of property boundaries at right-angles and parallel to the medieval market square frontage".  
  6365   Braintree - Horn Hotel   Excavations at the rear of the Horn Hotel prior to redevelopment, July 1984..  
  6366   Braintree - Horn Hotel   Excavations at the rear of the Horn Hotel, in July 1984, prior to redevelopment.  
  6370   51-57 Rayne Road, Braintree   Among the finds made during excavations here in 1973 (see 6369 for general context of work) was a thin sheet-bronze garter hook.  
  6371   51-57 Rayne Road, Braintree   Site excavated in 1973 in advance of redevelopment.  
  6372   51-57 Rayne Road, Braintree   Post medieval pottery sherds found in excavation here in 1973 (see 6369 for context of work here) <1>  
  6376   Braintree-Bank Street, 13-17   Trial excavations to the rear of the frontage in 1971, to assess the potential of the site.  
  6377   Braintree-Bank Street, 13-17   Trial excavations to the rear of the frontage in 1971, to assess the potential of the site.  
  6381   Braintree-Mount House   Medieval pottery found during excavations here in 1984 (see 6380 for general context of the work) <1>-<4>  
  6382   Braintree-Mount House   The excavation showed that the earthen bank is almost certainly of quite recent date and cannot therefore be part of the oppidum  
  6383   Near Kentishes Farm   "Probable destroyed kiln site.  
  6384   Stisted   Mentioned in Anglo-Saxon wills as Stisted(e), c1046, c1055.  
  6385   Stisted Hall   There was an earlier hall (manor) here that was rebuilt in the 16th century..  
  6386   Stisted Hall - Icehouse   A well preserved ice-house stands in the grounds of Stisted Hall <1> <2>  
  6390   Blyth's Meadow, Braintree   Unstratified medieval pottery from excavations here in 1976 (see 6388 for general context of the work here) included a rim sherd "in hard sandy buff grey fabric...  
  6391   Blyth's Meadow, Braintree   Unstratified finds of post medieval pottery from excavations here in 1976 (see 6388 for general context) "included examples of Stock products, Staffordshire, Westerwald stoneware and orange, brown-glazed local wares....  
  6392   Railway Street, Braintree   A shallow depression was found, filled with stone rubble from the demolition of cottages that pre-dated the Tithe Map of 1843.  
  6396   Braintree-Cressing Road   Excavations in 1976 in advance of a housing project south of Cressing Road..  
  6397   Braintree-Cressing Road   Excavations in 1976 in advance of a housing project south of Cressing Road..  
  6399   Braintree-Coggeshall Road   "Kenworthy had the rim of a 13th century cooking pot...  
  6402   All Saints Church, Stisted   The walls of the church are flint and pebble-rubble with some boulder clay..  
  6403   All Saints Church, Stisted   In the 19th century the church was restored and the south tower and the west wall of the nave were rebuilt.  
  6404   Stisted Mill   Water mill shown here on the C and A map of 1777.  
  6405   Stisted Mill   One mill mentioned in Domesday Book at Stisted.  
  6407   Braintree-Chapel Hill   Site of former chapel that lay south of the Bishop of London's manor house (see 6409-10) and the parsonage.  
  6408   Braintree-Chapel Hill   An oval-shaped medal, about the size of an old six-penny piece, was found in 1910.  
  6409   Braintree-Chapel Hill   Although the placename `Braintree' is mentioned in Domesday "it was a minor holding in the larger manor of Great Rayne, owned by the Bishop of London..  
  6410   Braintree - Chapel Hill   The site of a manor of the Bishops of London since the late 10th century.  
  6411   Braintree-Chapel Hill   Site of church and chapel of early medieval settlement (ie before the founding of Braintree in 1199).  
  6414   Braintree-Chapel Hill, Lake and Elliot's Foundry (Albion Wor   Pottery was found by Rev JW Kenworthy when the foundry was built in 1906, and in the area of Chapel Hill.  
  6415   Braintree-Chapel Hill, Lake and Elliot's Foundry (Albion Wor   Pottery was found by Rev JW Kenworthy when the foundry was built in 1906.  
  6423   Braintree-Skitts Hill   Finds from the site of a supposed lake dwelling (see 6419), observed in the late 19th century, included medieval pottery.  
  6426   Goldsticks Farm   Coins: Roman Sestertius, probably of Hadrian and An Elizabethan penny  
  6429   Churchyard / Moated site, Black Notley   Homestead moated site and two associated fishponds  
  6430   Black Notley Hall   Two-storied timber-framed and plastered building.  
  6431   Black Notley Hall   15th century or earlier house (see 6430), altered and added-to later.  
  6432   Church of St Peter and St Paul, Black Notley   The church walls are of flint and pebble rubble with some dressed stones in the east wall.  
  6433   Church of St Peter and St Paul, Black Notley   The angle buttresses of the church are 17th century, brick.  
  6435   Hawbush Old House   A two-storied house, timber-framed and plastered, with tiled roofs.  
  6436   Hawbush Old House   Early 16th century timber-framed house with 17th century and `modern' additions on the west side, including a 17th century chimneystack.  
  6437   Lanham Manor Farm   Presumably on RCHM as `Langham Farm'.  
  6438   Lanham Manor Farm   Presumably on RCHM as `Langham Farm'.  
  6442   All Saints Church, Cressing   Limited excavation took place in 1979 in advance of reflooring in the nave.  
  6451   North of Rayne   Site of Rayne Mill.  
  6452   Near Villa Farm   Site of wind mill, shown on C and A map of 1777.  
  6453   Naylinghurst   Late 12th or 13th century pottery was found here in 1973.  
  6455   Braintree-Bocking End   Site of windmill.  
  6456   East of Abbot's Hall   "Site of `Hobbs'" .  
  6457   Codham Mill   "Site of `Codham's Mill'" <1> On C and A map of 1777, water mill symbol shown <2>  
  6458   South of Gosfield Bridge   "Site of wind mill" <1> Wind mill symbol shown on C and A map of 1777 <2>  
  6459   Bulford Mill   Site of Bulford Mill.  
  6460   Cressing   "Site of wind mill" <1> Wind mill symbol shown here on C and A map of 1777 <2>  
  6463   Wright's Farm   Homestead moat <1> According to OS 1975 no moat is visible here.  
  6464   'Mill Mound'   "Moated wind mill mound situated on rising ground above flood plain of R.  
  6468   Great Codham Hall   Alleged moat, though OS 1975 survey considers it an embayed pond.  
  6469   Great Codham Hall   Alleged moat but OS 1975 considered it more likely to be an ornamental fish pond of 18th century date <2> in <1> Sketch plan of feature on back of MSRG card <3>  
  6470   Park Hall Farm   A dry ditch, 12m wide x 1.5m deep, north of the house, remains from a moat..  
  6485   'The Mill House'   "Site of water mill" <1> Water mill symbol shown here on C and A map of 1777 <2>  
  6487   South end of Gosfield   "Site of wind mill" <1> Wind mill symbols shown here on C and A map of 1777 <2>  
  6489   South of 'Lyons Hall'   Pit found during gravel-working.  
  6490   South of 'Lyons Hall'   Brick-lined well found during gravel-quarrying in 1978.  
  6491   REVOKED - South of 'Lyons Hall' See 6492   Site of 16th century house, demolished.  
  6492   South of 'Lyons Hall'   Site of 16th century house, demolished.  
  6494   Folly House   "Possible moated site.  
  6495   Church of St Mary the Virgin, Panfield   Formerly the Church of St Christopher.  
  6496   Church of St Mary the Virgin, Panfield   "The church was restored in the 19th century, when the North Vestry and the Organ-chamber were added".  
  6497   East end of Panfield   "Possible moated site.  
  6504   North of Great Priory   A 13th century cooking pot rim in a sandy, grey fabric, was found here in 1976.  
  6515   All Saints' Church, Rayne   Rebuilt in the 19th century, except the west tower which is late 15th or early 16th century in date.  
  6516   All Saints' Church, Rayne   Rebuilt in the 19th century except the west tower.  
  6517   All Saints' Churchyard, Rayne   "A sherd from a red-ware jug, with dark exterior and cream slip decoration and a sherd from a shallow sgraffito-ware vessel were recovered from the graveyard south of the church.  
  6518   All Saints' Churchyard, Rayne   "A sherd from a red-ware jug, with dark exterior and cream slip decoration and a sherd from a shallow sgraffito-ware vessel were recovered from the graveyard south of the church.  
  6526   Near Sheeringhall Spring   Small collection of abraded coarse ware sherds found here in fieldwalking in 1981, includng "medieval plain body sherds" <1> In private possession - with finder? <2>  
  6527   Near Sheeringhall Spring   Small collection of abraded coarse ware sherds found here in fieldwalking in 1981, including "a glazed post-medieval fragment" <1> In private possession, with finder? <2>  
  6528   N of Strait's Mil, Bocking   Medieval? pottery and tile from gravel pits N of Strait's Mill  
  6536   East of Rayne   Parish boundary, consisting of a shallow ditch with a probable bank on the eastern side, surviving only to a height of 0.20m.  
  6538   Rotten End - `Spices'   Medieval pottery group collected from garden during fruit tree planting..  
  6539   Rotten End - `Spices'   The house is timber-framed and plastered, with a red plain tile roof; it is two-storied, built on a long, narrow plan with five unequal bays.  
  6540   Rotten End - `Spices'   See 6539 for medieval phase of the house.  
  6544   The Cauldron Restaurant   A red earthenware costrel (Cunningham and Drury's fabric 40), with pierced suspension lugs, unglazed except splashes of clear lead glaze, was "found during digging of foundation trench at the rear of the Cauldron Restaurant..  
  6545   Bocking-Bradford Street, 114   Drainage trenches to the rear of extant 16th century buildings "revealed a yellowish, apparently clayey layer, perhaps 60 mm thick".  
  6546   Rayne Hatch Wood   "Possible moat" <1> <2>  
  6548   Vicinity of Castle Hedingham   "Part of a large sagging based cooking pot from playing field" <1> <2>  
  6549   Tile Kiln Farm   "Kiln seen in trench of Acacia House (?near Tile Kiln Farm), mid C13 pottery" <1> <2> Tile Kiln Farm is at TL 786320.  
  6551   Blackmore End   According to William Holman "(C18 on)", Hugh de Neville had a 'palace' here..  
  6553   Falcon Square, Castle Hedingham   "13th century pottery found in Falcon Square".  
  6783   Castle Hedingham - Medieval Town.   "Medieval town - Castle Hedingham.  
  6785   Church of St Nicholas, Castle Hedingham   Castle Hedingham church.  
  6786   Church of St Nicholas, Castle Hedingham   In the early 17th century the nave was shortened by one bay at its west end and the west tower was built (dated 1616).  
  6787   Hedingham Castle   The castle was built in the late 11th to early 12th century.  
  6788   Hedingham Castle House   Dates from c1718-1799.  
  6789   Castle Hedingham   "Site of St James' chapel and St James' well".  
  6790   Castle Hedingham   "Site of St James' chapel and St James' well".  
  6791   Pottery Lane, Castle Hedingham   Two test pits dug here in July 1985 as planning permission was being sought for a house.  
  6792   Pottery Lane, Castle Hedingham   The fill of a medieval feature (see 6791) was cut by two post medieval features, a slot and a pit.  
  6793   Moated site south of Rectory Road, 170m east of St Peter's Church, Sible Hedingham   A dry rectangular homestead moat south of Sugar Loaves Lane.  
  6794   Essex Hall   Homestead moat (two arms and part of a third remain).  
  6795   Essex Hall   16th century building here.  
  6797   Church of St Peter and St Thomas, Stambourne   Site visit to inspect areas where drainage works and floor replacement were to take place (see site assessment on 6798).  
  6798   Church of St Peter and St Thomas, Stambourne   The church walls are flint and pebble rubble with limestone and clunch dressings.  
  6799   Church of St Peter and St Thomas, Stambourne   The south porch was added or rebuilt in the mid 16th century (the arch has reused 15th century stonework).  
  6800   Stambourne Hall   Incomplete moat, only north east part remains.  
  6801   Stambourne Hall   C15 and later unit system of two manor houses  
  6802   Berwick Hall   Very incomplete moat.  
  6803   Berwick Hall   Early C17 timber framed house.  
  6805   Bar Hall   Remains of a small homestead moat.  
  6806   South of Tilbury Court   Small plot of ground shown on the Tithe Map of 1839, called the "Burial Ground".  
  6808   Church of St John the Baptist, Little Yeldham   Flint and pebble rubble walls with limestone and clunch dressings and tiled roofs.  
  6809   Church of St John the Baptist, Little Yeldham   Nave west wall rebuilt in the 19th century.  
  6810   South of Church   Medieval pottery and tile ploughed up in field to south of the church.  
  6813   South of Tucklands Farm   Medieval horseshoe found in c1932.  
  6815   Bloom's Farm   Homestead moat.  
  6816   Nunnery Street - Nunnery Farm   Site of Priory of St Mary, St James and the Holy Cross.  
  6817   Colne Valley Railway   The Colne Valley railway (partly dismantled), opened in 1862, ran from Haverhill-Chappel.  
  6820   New House Farm   Moat  
  6821   Newhouse Farmhouse   C16 or earlier timber framed house.  
  6823   Blois Hall   Completely dry moat, "including the small northern part of the east arm shown on the 1924 edition 6" sheet".  
  6824   Blois Hall   17th century or earlier house.  
  6825   Boyton Hall   Irregular moat, north side filled in recently.  
  6826   Boyton Hall   Late 16th or early 17th century house.  
  6827   Sculpin's Farm   Moat, south east arm destroyed.  
  6828   Sculpin's Farm   Two-storied house, timber-framed and plastered with tiled roofs.  
  6829   Hawks Hall   Name mentioned in c1180 as `Havecheshale', in the 13th century as `Haukeshall', in 1303 as `Haukes(h)ale', `Haukes(h)ale' occurs in a Cartulary of the Knights Hospitallers, `Hauekeshale' in the 14th century (Stoke-by- Clare Cartulary), `Haw  
  6831   Nortofts   Moat, obliterated except on the east side.  
  6832   Nortofts   A brick outhouse with tiled roofs, two-storied, was probably built in the late 16th century as a banqueting hall.  
  6835   Church of St Peter, Sible Hedingham   The church walls are of flint and pebble rubble and some Roman tile (see 6834).  
  6836   Church of St Peter, Sible Hedingham   "The church was extensively restored late in the 19th century".  
  6837   Near to Church of St Peter, Sible Hedingham   "Moat near `Greys' (near to the church).  
  6842   Crows Cross   Fragmentary pottery found with base and `firebox' of a pottery kiln, beside Mr Ripper's house in 1937, at c3ft down.  
  6845   Hole Farm   Excavation of five medieval pottery kilns, 1971-73.  
  6847   Hole Farm   "Tile kiln found at Hole Farm - 3 brick arches (medieval?).  
  6848   East of Hole Farm   "Pieces of mid.  
  6849   North of Boaley's Farm   Early medieval pottery sherds "with typical flattened rims", found by OS field officer.  
  6851   Liston Hall Farm   Incomplete moat, nearly dry.  
  6852   Liston Hall Farmhouse   Late C15/early C16 timber framed house.  
  6857   Southb of Foxborough Hill Farm   "Jack Lindsay claims all the material he saw from this area was medieval"..  
  6858   Potter Street - 5 (Clare Cottage)   Medieval pottery wasters excavated here in 1973 at request of owner.  
  6859   Potter Street - Hawkwood Manor   Pottery found "including rims, several good handles, grey, fawn and light red.  
  6862   Potter Street-22   "13th-14th C sherds in garden close to road".  
  6863   Chapelend Way   "Meeting House" marked on C and A map, 1777.  
  6864   Site of windmill at Hill Farm, Stambourne   "Site of wind mill".  
  6865   Site of windmill at Finchingfield   "Site of wind mill".  
  6866   Site of windmill at Finchingfield   "Site of wind mill".  
  6867   South of 'Hoses'   "Site of `Millers'".  
  6868   Site of windmill near 'Mill House'   "Site of wind mill".  
  6869   Site of windmill - same as 7004   "Site of wind mill".  
  6870   Site of windmill at Brook Farm   "Site of wind mill".  
  6871   Cottonbury Windmill   Site of wind mill.  
  6872   Site of windmill at Lister Lodge Farm entrance   "Site of wind mill".  
  6873   Track off Great Yeldham Road   Present lane marked as Rd.  
  6874   North of Bloom's Farm   "Approx. site of `Hill Farm'.  
  6875   Site of windmill in Sible Hedingham   "Site of wind mill".  
  6876   Tile Kiln, Finchingfield   "Tile kilns marked on C and A map" (placename or kiln?).  
  6877   Site of windmill near Lealands at Blackmore End   "Site of wind mill".  
  6878   Extending north from Liston Hall Farm   Former road marked on C and A, 1777.  
  6879   Southey Green - Starlings Hall   "2 medieval kiln sites".  
  6880   Southey Green - Starlings Hall   "Med.  
  6881   Moat Farm   "`Moat Farm' on Tithe Award c1840".  
  6882   Pevor's Farm   "Moat at Pevor's Farm.  
  6884   West of Pepp Farm   Moat Field on Tithe Award 1840.  
  6885   Kirby Hall   "Fish ponds at Kirby Hall".  
  6889   Stambourne Green   "`Moat Hall'.  
  6895   Brick Kiln Hill Brick Works   "Rectangular pit, probably old brickworks".  
  6896   West of Great Meadowend   "Med.  
  6897   Near Brickkiln Green   2 late medieval pottery kilns disturbed by deep ploughing (1967).  
  6898   Near Clevelands Farm   "Med.  
  6903   Runalong Brick Works   "Brick Kiln-Clay mill".  
  6906   East of Southeygreen Farm   "Site of Kings Farm (1797)".  
  6913   North of Brook Street Farm   "Large dump of medieval sherds C14-Tudor".  
  6914   North of Brook Street Farm   "Large dump of medieval sherds C14-Tudor".  
  6915   Braintree corner   "Tile kiln', cut by trench 1961.  
  6918   Boaleys Farm   Med. pottery bust found 1910  
  6919   Acacia House, Gosfield   "13th C.  
  6920   Broaks Wood   13th C pottery found during ditching 1964.  
  6921   North East of Whitehouse Farm   Med. sherds found 1969  
  6923   Broaks Wood, Alphamstone   "Med.  
  6924   Broaks Wood, Alphamstone   "Green glazed 13th century C.  
  6925   Vicinity of Lodge at Gosfield School   "13th-14th C. pottery  
  6928   North of Whitehouse Farm   "13th C.  
  6929   North of Whitehouse Farm   "13th C.  
  6932   Southb of Foxborough Hill Farm   "Med.  
  6933   Foxborough Hill Farm   "13th C.  
  6934   Near Golden's Farm   "Site of wind mill." <1> On C and A map of 1777.  
  6935   Tower Mill or Eley's Mill, Lamb Lane   Site of wind mill. Shown on C and A map of 1777.  
  6936   Hostage Farm   "Possible moat at Hostage Farm.  
  6938   South of Wildebrook Farm   "Moat near Widlebrook Farm.  
  6939   Widleybrook Farm   Buildings shown here on this site in 1741.  
  6941   Rectory Meadow   "`Site of kiln' - discovered in cutting sewer trench, `cut in half just where the limes are'.  
  6943   Cust Hall   "Possible remains of moat (information from C.  
  6945   Sible Hedingham - Aldersford Street, 9-11 (Woolcombers)   Recording in May 1984 in advance of the laying of a concrete floor in the dining room at No.  
  6946   Sible Hedingham - Aldersford Street, 9-11 (Woolcombers)   In May 1984 it was reported that earlier wall footings had been found at No..  
  6947   Toppesfield - The Causeway, 59   House dating from c1600 and c1700, altered in the 20th century.  
  6948   Aldersford Street   "Moated site: rectangular single enclosure.  
  6961   Watsoe Bridge Pumping Station   A small amount of medieval pottery found, with much Roman, in material redeposited in a railway cutting at TL 692433 from digging of a reservoir at TL 707430.  
  6962   Watsoe Bridge Pumping Station   Pottery finds in material redeposited in a railway cutting at TL 692433 from the digging of a reservoir at TL 707430, including a (?) post medieval malting kiln floor fragment.  
  6966   Windmill site, north of Hunwicks Farm   Site of windmill.  
  6967   Whitleys House   Homestead moat.  
  6971   Church of St Augustine of Canterbury, Birdbrook   The church has walls of stone, flint and pebble rubble mixed with tiles.  
  6972   Church of St Augustine of Canterbury, Birdbrook   In the 19th century the church was restored.  
  6974   Secret Garden (formerly West End House)   Homestead moat.  
  6977   Moat Farm   Homestead moat.  
  6978   Moat House   C18 timber framed house.  
  6979   Ashen House   Homestead moat, imperfect.  
  6980   Ashen House   C16 timber framed house.  
  6981   The Rectory   Homestead moat.  
  6982   The Rectory   `Tudor' brick(?) found when moat here was cleaned.  
  6984   Hole Farm   Homestead moat, south and east arms survive, in fair condition.  
  6987   West side of Church Street, Belchamp St Paul   Site of manor house, shown in perspective view on a 16th century survey of the manor of Belchamp St Paul, immediately west of the church.  
  6988   Paul's Hall   Timber-framed and weatherboarded barn c50m south west of Paul's Hall, with corrugated asbestos roof.  
  6989   Paul's Hall   15th and 16th century work in the house.  
  6990   Paul's Hall   Hall, outbuilding and barn.  
  6993   Church of St Andrew, Belchamp St Paul   The church has flint rubble walls with limestone and clunch dressings, roofs covered with tiles and lead.  
  6994   Church of St Andrew, Belchamp St Paul   In the 19th century the church was restored and the north vestry added.  
  6998   South East of Knowl Green   Many coarse, brown early medieval potsherds found.  
  7000   Fowe's Farm   Site of pre-Domesday settlement, held by six men before 1066 (see 7001 for Domesday ownership).  
  7001   Fowe's Farm   Sites of farm and moat.  
  7002   Fowe's Farm   Site of farm and moat.  
  7003   North of Knowl Green   Site of a post mill, dismantled in c1960 though the brick round house still stood in 1932.  
  7004   Windmill west of Great Meadowend   Site of wind mill present on C and A and Tithe map.  
  7005   Upper Farm   "Possible moated site at Upper Farm".  
  7006   Upper Farmhouse   C16 or earlier timber framed house.  
  7007   South East of Belchamp St Paul   "Windmill".  
  7008   Moat House   Moat is shown on 1791-93 Stoke College Estate map.  
  7009   Moat Farmhouse   C16 and later timber framed manor house.  
  7010   Church of St Margaret, Tilbury   The church has flint rubble walls, heavily plastered, with stone dressings, tiled roofs.  
  7011   Church of St Margaret, Tilbury   General restoration took place in the 19th century.  
  7012   Pollards Green   "Deserted hamlet at Pollards Green.  
  7013   Hill Farm (formerly Pannells)   In RCHm as "Ridgewell Hill Farm".  
  7014   Hill Farmhouse (formerly Pannells)   Late C16 timber framed manor house.  
  7016   North East of Belchamp St Paul   Wind mill - round brick tower mill (probably 19th century).  
  7017   Remains of Clare Priory   The Augustinian Friary was established in 1248, the first of that order in the country.  
  7019   Whitehouse Farm   Homestead moat.  
  7020   Whitehouse Farm   Shaped and moulded bracket in a modern barn has the date 1669 and the initials I.W.  
  7021   North of Roost End   "Rim sherd.  
  7022   South East of Knowl Green   Site of Reeves Farm - destroyed and field boundaries rooted up by June 1971..  
  7023   South East of Knowl Green   Site of Reeves Farm - destroyed and field boundaries rooted up by June 1971..  
  7028   Chadwells Farm   Field walking of a c2ha area that includes a ring ditch (see 7030) revealed a spread of medieval and post medieval pottery.  
  7029   Chadwells Farm   Field walking of a c2ha area that includes a ring ditch (see 7030) revealed a spread of medieval and post medieval pottery.  
  7037   Location between Ashen and Clare   Post medieval and modern pottery found here during field walking of a cropmark site (see 7035 for cropmarks).  
  7038   Church of St Mary the Virgin, Ovington   The church walls are flint and pebble rubble, mostly plaster-covered, with limestone and clunch dressings and tiled roofs.  
  7039   Church of St Mary the Virgin, Ovington   The timber-framed and plastered south porch and bell-turret were added in the 18th century, probably.  
  7046   West of Belchamp St Paul   "Scatter of medieval pottery." found in 1980.  
  7051   The Rectory   Partial, square moated enclosure of unknown status on village periphery..  
  7052   The Rectory   Moated site occupied by 18th century building.  
  7053   Claret Hall   Partial rectangular moated enclosure with ditch 10m wide, 3m deep, wet.  
  7054   Claret Hall   Two-storied house, timber-framed and plastered, built in the middle of the 16th century on L-plan.  
  7055   Bowles Farm   Medieval, smoke-blackened rafters re-used in farmhouse, hall roof.  
  7056   Bowles Farmhouse   C16 and C17 timber framed house.  
  7057   Church of St Augustine of Canterbury, Ashen   The church has walls of flint rubble with limestone and clunch dressings.  
  7058   Church of St Augustine of Canterbury, Ashen   The south porch was added in c1600.  
  7059   Church of St Lawrence, Ridgewell   The church has walls of plastered flint and pebble rubble with limestone and clunch dressings; the roofs are covered with tiles and lead.  
  7060   Church of St Lawrence, Ridgewell   The church was restored in the 19th century.  
  7344   Hatfield Peverel Priory   Landscape garden by Woods partly carried out after a plan of 1765., particularly two linked ponds.  
  7348   Braintree - Clare Road 29   Silver sixpence of William III (1694-1702) dated 1696.  
  7356   Baythorne End   Field adjacent to cropmark site walked.  
  7357   Baythorne End   Field adjacent to cropmark site walked 1984-5.  
  7483   Braintree - Tofts Garage (now J Sainsburys)   Post medieval features excavated included rear boundary ditches for properties on the east side of the market, some originating in medieval times (see 6363) and the remains of a gravelled yard surface behind a C16 property..  
  7485   Braintree - Sandpit Road   Trial trench dug here, 1984.  
  7486   Braintree - Sandpit Road   Trial trench dug to test for RB occupation (see 7484).  
  8031   Rivenhall   Roman and/or medieval small grey coarse ware sherds (9).  
  8033   Rivenhall   Flanged rim sherd from a large vessel, in sandy oxidised fabric (marked post medieval?).  
  8037   Temple Meadow   Temple Meadow, Witham: Saxon and earlier pottery, silver St Edmund penny.  
  8085   Rivenhall Roman Villa, Anglo-Saxon Hall, Cemetery & Church Site-Medieval   Excavation on the line of a sewer trench in 1971.  
  8086   St Mary and All Saints Church and Churchyard, Rivenhall,Saxon-Excl. SAM area   A two-celled masonry church. Over 200 sherds of early Anglo-Saxon pottery, finds of area excavated in1973  
  8087   Rivenhall Churchyard Record NOT CURRENT see 8086   The north east area of the churchyard was excavated in 1973 in advance of new grave-digging.  
  8088   Rivenhall Churchyard Record NOT CURRENT see 8086   Excavation, 1971-7, in advance of works to the church.  
  8089   Rivenhall, Saxon -Excl. SAM area Record NOT CURRENT see8086   A two-celled masonry church (with square chancel) erected on a hoggin foundation; on the latter were laid two courses of flints, capped by two courses of Roman brick in the chancel and one course in the nave, all set in a yellow sandy morta  
  8090   St Mary & All Saints Church & Churchyard, Rivenhall -Excl. SAM area   The Anglo-Saxon church underwent little change until the 14th century when the chancel underwent a major reconstruction involving the demolition of the apse and the wall between the chancel and the sanctuary and the creation of a long, rect  
  8091   St Mary and All Saints Church & Churchyard, Rivenhall -Excl. SAM area   After the considerable additions to the church in the medieval period, there followed two centuries of stagnation at Rivenhall.  
  8092   Bower Hall   Manoral moat.  
  8093   Bower Hall   In RCHM as `Bowser's Hall'.  
  8094   Cressing   Three tile kilns sited at TL 80381903, 80431904, 80461905.  
  8105   Witham Spa   A chalybeate spring discovered by Dr J Taverner in 1737, who tried, unsuccessfully to make Witham a spa.  
  8108   Chipping Hill Camp   Earthworks on supposed site of Saxon burh built by Edward the Elder.  
  8109   Chipping Hill Camp: medieval   In the 1930s excavations a pit was found, cut into a layer, probably buried topsoil, over the tail of the rampart to the rear of the outer bank, to the rear of Temple Villa.  
  8110   Chipping Hill - Dean Cullen Seed Works   Recording during replacement of two buildings in 1980.  
  8111   Chipping Hill   ?C14 bronze figure of madonna and child.  
  8112   Chipping Hill   Gold coin of Honorius found at Chipping Hill.  
  8117   41 Chipping Hill   Deposit of mainly late C15-C17 earthenwares found, with sherds of earlier medieval coarse wares, while digging foundations for a new garage.  
  8118   41 Chipping Hill   Deposit of mainly late C15-C17 earthenware found, with earlier pottery, when digging foundations for a new garage.  
  8119   Chipping Hill   Roman gold coins.  
  8120   Chipping Hill   Medieval pottery.  
  8121   Chipping Hill   Site of Old Witham (Saxon-Early Medieval) preceding the new settlement on the London Road.  
  8123   Church of St Nicholas, Chipping Hill   The church lies just outside Chipping Hill camp (see 8108), an Iron Age fort refurbished by Edward the Elder in 913.  
  8124   Church of St Nicholas, Witham   C14 and later.  
  8125   Church of St Nicholas, Witham   Parish church.  
  8127   Feering Hill, Kelvedon   Three quaker burials exhumed c. 1960.  
  8143   Church Street Trench F (Eddy), Kelvedon   Trench 18 x9m excavated at right angles to and on the west side of Church Street to test the hypothesis that the Saxon and medieval village centre lay between the church, Church Hall Farm and the present High Street.  
  8144   Church Street Trench F (Eddy), Kelvedon   The site was intensively occupied from C14 onwards.  
  8147   Church of St Mary the Virgin, Kelvedon   Walls are flint-rubble with limestone dressings.  
  8148   Church of St Mary the Virgin, Kelvedon   The church was restored in C19 when the S porch was largely rebuilt and the S chancel added.  
  8150   Church Street, Kelvedon   Probable centre of late Saxon settlement, on siting of church.  
  8169   Witham   Medieval pottery found in 1957.  
  8170   Witham - The Avenue, 11   Medieval objects were found in the garden at this address.  
  8173   Witham - Newland Street 102-118 (WH1)   Prior to development, a trial trench was dug on what seemed to be a relatively large undisturbed area within the medieval town, fronting on the Roman road.  
  8174   Witham - Newland Street 102-118 (WH1)   Trial trench dug prior to development indicated that the difference in level of 1m between Newland Street and the floors of houses in this part of the Street could be explained by the road being a hollow way.  
  8175   Witham - The Avenue, 11   Medieval objects found in the garden at this address, including a few Bellarmine sherds.  
  8187   Blunts Hall   Much medieval pottery found in 'Castle Field' (presumably the Castle Banks field west of Blunts Hall moated site (see 8192).  
  8191   Blunts Hall   C12-C14 pottery found on surface.  
  8192   Blunts Hall   Homestead moat with strong inner rampart.  
  8193   Blunts Hall - Castle Baileys   Field to the west of Blunts Hall is called `Castle Baileys' and a slight bank is visible.  
  8194   Blunts Hall   "There are traces of another low bank following the curve of the road to the E of the modern farm which may represent the late medieval site." (i.e.  
  8212   East of Olivers Farm   Very large amount of medieval pottery found here in 1949.  
  8235   Feering Hill, Feering   Quaker burial ground.  
  8236   Feering Hill, Feering   Medieval sherds found in 1954.  
  8238   Anglo-Saxon cemetery east of Easterford Mill, Kelvedon   Saxon cemetery.  
  8239   Barrow Hills   Finds reported from field 436A and 437 (old series), known as Barrow Hills, reportedly similar to finds from `Barrow Fields' (see 8238).  
  8241   Inworth, Feering   Skeleton found in c1914 in bank of a disused gravel pit at Inworth.  
  8243   Easterford Mill   C18 watermill.  
  8244   Junction of World's End Lane and Feering Hill   In July 1978 the Anglian Water Authority excavated a cruciform trench in the green opposite the Sun Inn, Feering.  
  8257   Kelvedon Excavations by Eddy 1978-78 Trench D   Early Saxon features excavated in Trench D in 1978.  
  8260   Kelvedon - Chase House (KL5)   Foundation trench of kitchen extension observed.  
  8261   Feering -World's End Lane   "Mr A Bonner reported a sherd of a thirteenth or early fourteenth century jug in a soft orange red ware from the area of TL 86151913 to TL 86791913, at a depth of c1m (3ft).  
  8278   Near Kelvedon   Neck and face mould from bellarmine found Sept 1966.  
  8304   Porter's Farm   Incomplete moat.  
  8305   Porter's Farm   Late C16 house, timber-framed with exposed ceiling beams inside.  
  8308   Kelvedon   C13 sherds found in 1961.  
  8319   Kelvedon - High Street, 148, 150   House with central hall and cross wings, probably first half C15, NE wing extended at rear in C16.  
  8320   Kelvedon - High Street, 148, 150   Medieval hall house.  
  8324   Sawyer's Yard, Kelvedon   Excavation in 1984 in advance of redevelopment.  
  8325   Sawyer's Yard, Kelvedon   Two trenches were excavated in 1984, prior to redevelopment.  
  8341   Witham Palace (site of)   Site of Witham Palace - C16 mansion, demolished in C19.  
  8346   St Martins Churchyard, Feering   Demolished mortuary chapel in St Martins Churchyard.  
  8348   Marylands   Moat  
  8354   Feering House   Much medieval and post medieval pottery excavated from garden at Feering House by Dr DJEL Carrick.  
  8355   Feering House   Much medieval and post medieval pottery excavated from the garden at Feering House by Dr DJEL Carrick.  
  8400   Near Mott's Farm   Fieldwalking by Bramston School under J Hope, after finding of human and animal bones (see 8398).  
  8403   Windmill Farm   Windmill - site of C16 tower mill, now destroyed.  
  8412   Howbridge Hall   Remains of a moat were visible here until c1890 when the moat was filled in..  
  8413   Howbridge Hall   Late C16 house, timber-framed and plastered.  
  8417   Snivellers Lane   Late medieval tile.  
  8418   Snivellers Lane   Post-medieval tile.  
  8427   Rivenhall   Six medieval grey coarse ware sherds, consisting of plain sherds and base sherds.  
  8433   Feering   Handle sherd - medieval, from Kelvedon sewer.  
  8436   Within Witham   Medieval pottery found in July 1937 by Mr Rowles.  
  8474   The Old Rectory   During landscaping at least 8 burials were found, some of immature individuals.  
  8501   Pentlow Hall   Moat at Pentlow Hall.  
  8502   Parish Church of St George, Pentlow   St George's Church. The apsidal Chancel and Nave were built in the middle of the C12.  
  8503   Parish church of St George, Pentlow   The north chapel and the west tower were added in C14.  
  8504   Pentlow Hall   Post medieval out buildings.  
  8505   Foxearth Hall   Moat at Foxearth Hall.  
  8506   Foxearth   Post medieval outbuildings - C16 byre, C16 barn, C18 cart lodge; large barn.  
  8507   Eyston Hall   Moat at Eyston Hall.  
  8508   Smeetham Hall   Moat at Smeetham Hall.  
  8509   Smeetham Hall   Chapel site of C16.  
  8510   Parish church of SS Peter and Paul, Foxearth   Standing building - nave, chancel, aisle and N Chapel of C15, much restored in C19, walls all totally refaced in flint.  
  8513   Whitehouse Farm   Moat site at Whitehouse Farm.  
  8514   Whitehouse Farm   Sherds of C12-14, collected by machine driver, F. Sellers.  
  8516   Middleton Hall   Moat at Middleton Hall.  
  8519   The road side near Weston Hall   A chapel once stood on the green by the road side near Weston Hall.  
  8520   Weston Hall   Moat at Weston Hall.  
  8521   Weston Hall   Late C15/early C16 timber framed house.  
  8522   Church of St. Ethelbert and All Saints, Belchamp Otten   C12 and later.  
  8523   Table tomb at the Church of St. Ethelbert and All Saints, Belchamp Otten   Table tomb, c.1812-1877, to various members of the Parmenter Family.  
  8526   Church of St. Albrights, Belchamp St Paul   Spiritual: site of 'lost' church of Belchamp St. Albrights  
  8536   Goldingham Hall   Domesday manor.  
  8537   Kitchens Farm   Kitchens Farm, pre C15 manor.  
  8541   Liston church   Parish church (dedication unknown) nave and chancel C12 in origin, chancel widened c.1230, chancel arch removed (C15?).  
  8542   Borley Church, Borley   Nave: ?Anglo-Saxon with fragmentary long and short quoining, blocked windows, part of offset foundation on N side of nave.  
  8555   Spains Hall Designed Landscape   C16 walled gardens, early C19 landscape park and C19 formal garden.  
  8556   Braintree - Bocking End, 4 (BT 20)   Groundworks observed here.  
  8564   Saling Grove Designed Landscape   Late C18 garden, designed by Repton.  
  8565   Saling Hall Designed Landscape   Late C17 gardens, redeveloped late C20.  
  8570   Terling Place Designed Landscape   Late C18 park and early C19 formal gardens.  
  8573   Hatfield Priory   Mid-C18 landscape park and woodland, landscaped 1765 by Richard Woods..  
  8574   Gosfield Hall Gardens   The remains of a mid C19 garden set within an extensive C18 park.  
  8585   St Peter's Road, Coggeshall (CG7)   No medieval features were uncovered anywhere on this site.  
  8587   Doucecroft site, Kelvedon (KL 4)   An archaeological excavation was carried out prior to development.  
  8589   Marks Hall   Anglo-Saxon urn found at Marks Hall (Coggeshall) c1820.  
  8601   Feering Hill, Feering   Licence granted in 1336 for endowment of the free chapel of St Mary in the manor of Feering.  
  8602   Attwoods   Medieval pottery kiln found in 1934: C12, excavated by Pudney, seen by Poulter.  
  8603   Attwoods   C13 pottery kiln found in pipe trench in 1954 (Brinson told E Sellers).  
  8607   Greenstead Hall   Traces of Saxon settlement.  
  8614   South of Langley Mill   Wind mill.  
  8615   Langley Mill   Langley Mill.  
  8617   Stanstead Hall   Complete moat with brick revetment, also remains of bridge on E side.  
  8617   Stanstead Hall   Complete moat with brick revetment, also remains of bridge on E side.  
  8618   East of 'Stone bridge House'   Brown clay vessel and pyramidal baked clay object, ?medieval, found in 1935.  
  8620   Colne Priory (Site of)   Founded in the first year of C12 for Benedictine monks as a cell to Abingdon Abbey.  
  8621   Colne Priory   Part of the tomb of Margaret Beaumont, daughter of the 7th Earl of Oxford, found in the river Colne.  
  8622   Colne Priory   Ha-ha driven through the remains of the priory church in 1736.  
  8629   Moat Farm   Moat surrounding C17 house (see 8630).  
  8630   Moat Farmhouse   Early C17 timber framed house with C19 and C20 alterations.  
  8633   Lodge Farm   Moat.  
  8634   Barn 90m NW of Lodge Farmhouse   Mid/Late C16 timber framed barn.  
  8635   Claverings Farm   Complete moat.  
  8636   Claverings Farmhouse   Late C16 and later timber framed house.  
  8639   Pattiswick Rectory   Moat  
  8640   Pattiswick Rectory   C17, timber-framed, plastered house.  
  8644   Houchins Farm   Moat surrounds house of c1600 (see 8645).  
  8645   Houchins Farm   Two-storied house, with attics, timber-framed and part plastered, part weatherboarded.  
  8649   Highfields   So named in 1678.  
  8650   Coggeshall Abbey   Founded in 1140, probably, for monks of the order of Savigny by King Stephen and Queen Maud.  
  8651   Coggeshall Abbey   From 1518 there is a reference, in his will, as to Sir John Sharpe having had the lease of a "mansion and lodgings at Coggeshall Abbey".  
  8652   Coggeshall Abbey House   The present house was built or rebuilt in 1581, E of the dorter range.  
  8653   St Nicholas' Chapel   Formerly the 'cappela extra portas' of the Abbey.  
  8654   Coggeshall Abbey - Fish ponds   Poorly preserved earthworks of the Abbey fish ponds.  
  8655   Coggeshall Abbey - North Boundary   On the N side the Abbey boundary is thought to have followed a line of palings shown on a map of 1639, and which are mentioned in post-dissolution leases.  
  8656   Coggeshall Abbey - South Boundary   The Southern line of the precinct almost certainly followed the course of an existing and curiously indirect road, and traces of a wall can be found in farm buildings.  
  8657   Coggeshall Abbey - Abbey Mill House   C15 house extended in C18 and early C19.  
  8658   Coggeshall Abbey - Abbey Mill House   C15 house, extended in C18 and early C19.  
  8659   Coggeshall Abbey - Abbey Mill   "Although no documentary proof has yet been found it is probable that the early years of the thirteenth century saw the making of the new and present main course of the Blackwater River which was to provide a reliable head of water for the  
  8660   Abbey Mill   Mid C18 watermill, altered in C19.  
  8666   Long Bridge   C13 red brick, three span bridge over River Blackwater, much altered in early C20.  
  8667   Feeringbury   House and outbuilding, the house is timber-framed and plastered, with tiled roofs.  
  8668   Feeringbury   The C15 hall was divided into two stories in C17 and there are large `modern' additions on the W side.  
  8673   Church Farm, Bradwell   Formerly in Pattiswick parish.  
  8674   Church Farm, Bradwell   Late C17 house, timber-framed and plastered, with tiled roofs and exposed beams.  
  8675   Bradwell Hall   Bradwell Hall (SE) on site of Bradwell Hall (G.T). <1> <2>  
  8677   Church of the Holy Trinity, Bradwell   Walls are probably flint-rubble and are plaster-covered; dressings are limestone and clunch; roofs are tiled.  
  8678   Church of the Holy Trinity, Bradwell   The bell-turret was built in C16 or early in C17.